t w e n t y - o n e

Bella glanced over to Rosalie who didn't bother looking at her, instead she opened her arms

Bella glanced over to Rosalie who didn't bother looking at her, instead she opened her arms. "Hailey, want to get ice cream with Emmett and I?" She asked gently.

Hailey turned to face Rose, tears prickling her eyes. She was happy... ecstatic even to spend more time with Rosalie and Emmett, maybe even Paul but there was a certain weight on her chest. A weight that prevented her from feeling what she wanted to feel.

Emmett quickly picked her up, "come on, kiddo. Who really cares about boring music?" He questioned with a large smile as he held her. He then walked them out.

Jasper took this as his cue to stop his influence on her. As soon as he did the tears began to fall. This surprised them.

"We will take her out for a moment... you guys... talk." Rosalie said and followed behind Emmett. Her voice held a hint of disdain.

Once they were gone, Paul turned to look at them. "Okay, what kind of scary mojo did you use on her?" His voice loud and harsh since he no longer had to worry about upsetting or hurting Hailey.

"It's the only way that she'll tolerate me. Simple and efficient." Edward explained calmly, not finding anything wrong with what happened.

Bella stood up, running her fingers through her hair. "She is a child, her emotions shift a lot. If you—no, if you all—had at least attempted to talk to her normally, she would have like you." She scolded everyone, her brows furrowed in frustration.

"We don't know how long that may take. The situation we are in requires quick actions." Jasper spoke up, his gaze on Bella. "We do not have time to ease her into trusting us."

Carlisle rubbed his temple as tension began to rise. "Bella, you understand the importance of this situation."

Paul moved to stand beside Bella, ready to protect her for the sake of Hailey. "Those damn things will still be there until we can handle them!" He growled, his gazed darkened. "She forgave Jacob in three days max. You couldn't give her three fucking days?!"

"The grudge she holds against Edward is bigger than the one she held for Jacob." Alice spoke up, her hand resting against Jasper's.

Bella's gaze flickered over to her. "Did your ability tell you?" She questioned almost sarcastically before she could catch herself.

"Alright alright, let us calm down." Esme finally spoke up. Her gaze shifted around the room to look at everyone. "We couldn't have imagined that it would have that much of an influence of Hailey, for that we apologize." She looked directly at Bella and Paul as she said this.

"It still does not take away the fact that we must move quickly." Edward spoke up, he was having a difficult time understanding why this was such a big ordeal.

Bella looked at him with disbelief. "Alright, I understand that we must not dwell on this matter but I would have appreciated being informed on a matter that concerns my sister." She clenched her jaw in annoyance at his nonchalant tone.

"Actually, no." Paul spoke up, stepping forward. "We have been doing nothing but sitting around but suddenly we have 'no time'?" He questioned, not willing to let the matter go.

"I apologize." Jasper spoke up with a hint of actual remorse. "I should have not done that without your permission, Bella." He said.

Esme gave a look to Alice which made her grab Jasper's hand and take him away. The tension still evident. "It seems it was still not the right time to meet her." Esme said with sorrow at the thought of saying goodbye to Hailey.

"I refuse to allow Hailey near you all unless it's for her protection." Paul said sternly, his eyes glaring harshly at them. "I do not want any of you speaking to her unless I am in the room or her..." He pointed at Bella for emphasis.

Bella looked slightly offended at being referred to with a simple 'her' but let it slide. "I think Paul is right." She agreed with a nod. "This has really broken the trust I had with leaving my sister with everyone. Unless Paul or I are present, I do not think she should be alone with anyone."

"Bella, you must understand that we are not use to children. It is a new experience." Edward said, trying to ease the tension.

Paul scoffed, "What? Are you saying that because you literally have no heart, you can't comprehend children?" He accused.

"The situation is getting out of hand." Carlisle spoke up, looking at everyone expectantly. "Let us all take some time to cool off and meet again another day. We will not gain anything by arguing back and forth."

That signaled the end of the conversation... at least for some. Paul once more spoke up, "I have already said what needed to be said. Unless either of us or someone I trust is around, I do not want to see or even smell your stench near her." Those were his final words before he turned to walk out of the house.

Bella looked at Edward with disappointment, shaking her head. "I'll leave with Paul and pick up Hailey." Is all she said before she too left the house.

{short because i want to do Hailey's perspective next chapter. also, surprise! two in less? than 24 hours}