s e v e n t e e n

The door was open, though the usual laughter was missing

The door was open, though the usual laughter was missing. In came Sam and Jacob, followed by the rest of their found-family. Sam walked in front, looking at Paul and Bella. With a serious look on his face he shook his head softly.

Paul's jaw clenched, slamming his hand on the table. A groan of frustration escaping him. He turned and leaned against the table, taking slow breaths to calm his anger.

She escaped them. She was able to escape a pack, not only one person.

"She crossed over to the Cullen's side." Sam spoke up from his place besides Emily.

Screw breathing

Paul looked up and glared at Sam. "To hell with the damn treaty! This is a matter that now concerns us!" He was almost shouting. "We should be able to disregard the damn thing!"

"You know we can't." Leah looked at Paul as she spoke. "Breaking it will be like declaring war on those..." She shot a quick glance towards Bella. "blood-suckers."

Paul turned his anger towards her. "So what am I suppose to do! Sit here and drink damn coffee?!" He scoffed.

Jacob glanced at Bella before looking over towards Sam. "I hate saying this but..." he took a deep breath for courage, "what if we ask...them for help?"

Paul looked at him as if he had grown two heads. "Are you fucking crazy? Like I'd trust them with Hailey."

Quite frankly he had considered the idea. Bella was involved with them and from what he could see, Bella would protect Hailey with her life. At that extent, he could give her the benefit of the doubt. That was, he would only trust her not those damn statues.

Bella finally let out a sigh. "As I said, you can't easily pitch tent outside her window. Either let them protect her or..." she looked at Sam, "form a brief alliance."

The quiet pack members suddenly yelled their opinions, all negative. The loudest being from Paul, just to keep his strong persona.

"Quiet, Hailey is sleeping." Emily scolded. This immediately silenced everyone.

Sam looked at her, "that is not something to joke with Bella."

She looked him dead in the eyes, voice steady and strong. "I wasn't joking." She stood firmly. Her brown eyes glanced towards Paul.

"Clearly, Paul does not want to trust the Cullens' and I won't force him or you guys to do so. However, I need someone to protect her," she took a shaky breath, showing her vulnerability. "With or without your approval, I will be asking them for help. Either you add to the security or stay here."

There was no way she was going to let Hailey and Charlie on their own. They would get the protection of the Cullen, even if she has to get on her knees and beg.

Sam nodded. "Fine. We will talk to them and set a temporary treaty, for the sake of Hailey and Charlie."

Paul almost let out a sigh of relief. She would be protected by him. He would be able to ensure her safety...

It was late when Bella and Hailey arrived back home. The small girl asleep in Bella's arms. Charlie walked towards the door at the sound of it opening. Charlie spoke softly, "I was surprised when Emily told me you had gone over right after school." He stood, arms crossed.

Bella looked at him, whispering a small sorry. "I know I'm grounded but...I had to make up with Hailey." She tightened her grip on her, holding her closer. "She means the world to me."

Charlie walked up to her and gently brushed Hailey's hair from her face. "I know Bells." He awkwardly smiled at her, gesturing towards the small girl. "Did you two make up?"

Bella smiled and nodded. "Yeah, she cried a bit but we are okay now."

A part of her felt guilty, she was technically lying to her father. Yes, she knew it was for his safety but that didn't make the guilt fade. It made it worse. If only she hadn't fell in love with Edward, he would not have to be in danger. He and Hailey would be safe but...she just can't help it. She just can't stop loving him.

"That's good."

Bella shifted awkwardly. "Um...I'll put Hailey to bed."

Charlie nodded. He stepped towards the living room, giving her enough space to walk upstairs. He looked at her walk by.

Before Bella could go up the stairs she turned towards Charlie, "Goodnight dad." She said before rushing up the stairs.

Charlie stood there for a moment before quietly saying a goodnight back. He turned towards the living room and walked towards the couch, he smiled to himself.

He couldn't be happier that his daughters were getting along again. It broke him to see them at odds, they only had each other. They had to depend on each other, be each other's strengths.

After putting Hailey to bed, Bella headed to her room. Edward sat on her bed, fingers fidgeting. As he heard the door open, he sprang up. He rushed to Bella and placed a hand on her cheek, checking for injuries.

"I'm okay." Bella reassured with a small smile.

Edward let out a sigh of relief. "I'm glad your home." He whispered to her and kissed her forehead.

Bella grabbed his wrist and placed a kiss on it. She looked up at him. "We have to talk..." She whispered with seriousness.

His anxiety returned. He nodded and led her to the bed and sat down.

Bella grabbed his hands, "Sam..." she shook her head.

"Victoria was on the reservation, keeping an eye on Hailey." Bella began, playing with Edwards fingers to keep her anxiety at bay. "Victoria is tormenting Hailey..."

Edward's eyes hardened, his body stiffened and jaw clenched. "Don't worry, Bella. I can talk to Carlisle, we can protect you, Hailey, and Charlie." Edward tried to sooth her.

Bella nodded. "I know but..." she closed her eyes for a moment before looking up at him. "Paul has this thing with Hailey...he wants—no, needs—to protect Hailey. He doesn't trust you guys, none of them do."

Edward let out a bitter chuckle, "Figures. That doesn't mean we can't protect her."

Bella looked up at him seriously. "Edward, this is more than me. I trust you and your family but Hailey is my life." She searched his eyes.

"If anything happened to Hailey...I would really die." A beat.

Edward could see the seriousness in her eyes, he could hear it in her voice. Bella Swan would not live if Hailey Swan died. That caused his non-beating heart to hurt. He bit the inside of his cheek.

"I need as many people as I can get to protect her... I need Carlisle and Sam to come to an agreement." She was close to begging. She grabbed both his hands and pulled them close to her chest.

"Please... I need to protect her...she had her whole life ahead of her... she is just an innocent child."l