f o u r t e e n

Hailey ran alongside the beach, every once in a while she'd step on the edge of the water before running away

Hailey ran alongside the beach, every once in a while she'd step on the edge of the water before running away. Emily sat close by, making sure that Hailey was safe. The call she received from Charlie earlier that day was surprising. She was not expecting to have Hailey visit her so soon.

Charlie was not very hesitant about leaving Hailey with her, it was the fact that he didn't want to bother the Uleys'. Hailey was a good kid but very energetic. She could sit for a few minutes but slowly will start to get antsy. She would want to run around and pick random things, asking a million questions until she is satisfied and starts looking for something else.

Emily, thankfully, was able to pick her up. Having an idea of how children were, she decided that the beach was an amazing place for a small child. She would be able to run around, even if she fell it wouldn't hurt as much. She could pick up random things and Emily would be able to answer.

To her surprise, Hailey was even able to catch a seagull. It was one of the first things she presented to Emily. Asking dozen of questions until it screeched at her, causing her to be startled, leading to the birds release.

The next thing she found interest in was seaweed that had washed up on the shore. Hailey held it at a distance as she brought it over to Emily. To her amusement, Hailey seemed more grossed out by seaweed than the seagull. Hailey claimed that she only brought it over incase Emily had never seen seaweed before.

Emily was snapped out of her thoughts as she heard Hailey call out to her, her small hands pulled to her chest as she grinned. Small legs running as fast as she could, "'mily! Look!" She stopped in front of Emily and showed her a small insect she found.

"Where did you find this little guy?" Emily asked with a smile that hid her disgust. She was not a big fan of insects, and she really hoped that Hailey wouldn't make her hold it.

Hailey held it up to her face, "by the branches over there!" she pointed towards the general direction.

Emily looked over and nodded. "How about you put him back? He must be missing his family." She smiled. Although she spoke those words, her eyes said 'take this disgusting thing away from me'.

Hailey nodded and ran back to put the small creature back. Her small ponytail swaying behind her. As she put it back down she looked up, her eyes widening. Her small hands trembled as did her lips. She gently whispered Emily's name, hoping she would hear. Tears already forming in her eyes.

Emily was looking at the waves before she realized she no longer heard Hailey playing around. She quickly turned and saw her frozen in place, tears running down her face. Emily quickly rushed over to her, calling out her name in panic.

Hailey let out a choked sob as her eyes locked with the very thing that was frightening her. Bright red eyes glared back at her. Hailey finally cried out loud when she felt arms wrap around her.

Emily picked her up, pushing her loose hairs away from her face. "Hailey? Hailey, what's wrong?" Emily was on the verge of crying as well from the small cries of the child.

Hailey wrapped her arms around her neck, burying her face into her neck. "B-bad.." she sobbed. Emily gently rocked her as she frantically looked around. Whatever had scared Hailey was clearly gone now.

Emily quickly pulled out her phone, dialing the only person she knew could come running. "Bella, it's Hailey."

Bella who was just now leaving school quickly ran to her truck, ignoring Edwards calls for her. She immediately started her truck and drove in direction of the reservation. "What happened?"

Emily tried to soothe the crying girl but it seemed like there was something still there. Something was still scaring the small girl into silence. "I'm not sure. She was playing around and when I turned around she was crying."

"Does she look hurt?" She quickly asked. Her mind racing as to what could have possible happened. She could hear her loud cries and it made her anxious.

Emily shook her head, pacing. "No, i already checked and she looks fine. I only saw her looking towards the woods." Emily stressed.

Bella tried to think if she was afraid of anything in particular until she came to a realization. There is only three things that had made her cry like that. One was when she had her first allergic reaction when she was much younger. Two, when she had fallen off the couch and hit her head. The last one being...when she saw Victoria.

At this she did not care about the laws she was possibly breaking. "Emily, I need you to hang up the phone and call Paul. Tell him to get there immediately and to take you home." Bella spoke in a serious tone that caught Emily off guard.

From what Emily knew, Bella was a soft spoken girl. Even when she was serious she would often sound hesitant. This time she held a certain level of authority. With a simple okay she hung up the phone and dialed Paul's number.

After a few rings he finally answered. "Yes?" He sounded out of breath, almost as if he had just ran a marathon.

"Paul, I need you to come to the beach. I'll explain everything when you get here. Hurry." She was honestly starting to get scared too and her voice clearly showed that.

Hailey had looked up, seeing that she was still there. Victoria was still there. A predator stalking his pray. The pray being Emily and her. She struggled against Emily as she saw her slowly moving closer.