One cannot deny love

Edward watched from afar as Oswald presented an award to some writer. Ed felt pure rage and hurt bubbling inside him, but there was also doubt. Doubt that he could truly go through with this, that he could truly torture and kill his first, best, and only friend.

Edward turned to leave,  but stopped when he heard Oswald call his name. "Ed, I'm sorry about what happened earlier. Can we please just forget it ever happened?" Oswald says. "You are the best friend I've ever had. In fact...the only friend I've ever had."

Edward felt his resolve shatter. He turned to look back at Oswald a moment later, only to see the shorter man turning away. Ed grabbed Oswald and pulled him into a hug, earning a small surprised gasp from the mayor of Gotham.

"You're my best friend as well, Oswald." Ed whispers. "Remember that..."

Ed wanted to walk away, but something about holding Oswald in his arms just felt so right, so good, and so he ended up pulling him a bit closer.

"About earlier--"

"Ed, please--"

"No, Oswald, let me speak." Ed says, pulling away and holding Oswald by his arms. "I've taken the time to think about it, and I want to rephrase what I said."

"Go on."

"I have a strong desire to become more than friends, and more than business partners." Ed says. "I guess it's like you said, one cannot deny love."

Oswald looked at him in disbelief, reeling him back into his arms. Ed ran his fingers through Oswald's hair, realizing this was what he truly wanted this whole time.

"I love you." Oswald whispers, his voice shaky.

"I love you, too." Ed whispers, and god it felt so good to finally say that.

It was true, one cannot deny love...

}×{