Close Call

s3
"Anything for You"

AU where Ed is hit in the crossfire when the red hoods attack and destroy the statue of Oswald's mother.

_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_

Ed lay on the concrete steps, clutching the wound on his side. A bullet had hit him in his side, about six inches above the hip, tearing through the flesh and several blood vessels. Warm, sticky crimson liquid covered his fingers and stained his clothes. He could hear the frantic screams of terrified reporters, smell the burnt gunpowder, and then he suddenly saw Oswald all but throw himself on him, more frantic and distressed than he'd ever seen him.

"Ed! Talk to me, are you okay?" Oswald says, breathless with panic.

"I'm fine. It's just a flesh wound. A few stitches and I'll be fine." Ed says, breathing through the pain.

He had a pretty high pain tolerance, something that definitely came in handy during his childhood.

The police and ambulance arrived just a few minutes later, and Ed was able to walk to the ambulance with the paramedics help. They took him to the hospital where he was patched up and, with a prescription for some painkillers, sent home a few hours later. Oswald postponed the victory party, choosing to stay home at Van Dahl mansion to take care of Edward, and hold a meeting with his henchmen to start the search for The Red Hoods and their leader.

Later that night, Oswald found himself unable to sleep. He ended up going into Ed's room, where he found his chief of staff sat in bed reading a book. Edward looked up at him, concern evident in his chocolate eyes.

"Is something wrong?" Ed asks, his voice instantly soothed Oswald's nerves, every worry in his mind melted away and without any hesitation, the shorter man limped over and crawled into Edward's bed.

Edward chuckled softly and pulled the covers over the smaller man, setting the book aside and holding Oswald close as he did his best to comfort him.

"Everything will be okay, Oswald. I'm not going anywhere." Ed whispers, and inexplicably Oswald burst into tears. "Why are you crying?"

"I was so scared." Oswald says softly, his voice shaking. "When I saw you go down, I-I feared the worst. I couldn't lose you. I can't watch another person I love die in my arms, It hurts so much. I can't lose you, Edward. I can't..."

"I'm not going anywhere, Ozzie. I promise." Ed says softly. "I love you too much to leave."

Oswald breath hitched as the realization struck him, and then he was overwhelmed with a flood of emotions. He reached up and held Ed's face in his hand, pressing their foreheads together. Edward closed the distance between them, pressing a kiss to Oswald's lips.

"Sweet dreams, Ozzie." Ed whispers once they part. "I love you."

"I love you, too." Oswald whispers, letting his tired eyes fall closed as he listened to Ed's heart beat.

}Ω{