Remorse

Soundtrack: "I love you" by Billie Eilish

____________________

A single gunshot rang out over the Gotham pier.

Edward grabbed a fistful of Oswald's shirt in his hand. He was so conflicted, he wanted to shove him into the river, but he also wanted to pull him into his arms and stop the bleeding and apologize for everything.

"Edward." Oswald choked out, blood dripping from his mouth. "Edward..."

"Oswald." Ed said quietly, tears pouring from his eyes. He couldn't do it. He couldn't do this. "What have I done?"

Edward laid Oswald down on the dock, taking off his suit jacket and pressing it against the wound.

"Just stay awake for me, okay?" Edward begged, holding Oswald's face in his hand. "Stay with me, please. Don't leave me like this, Oswald, please."

Edward dialed 911, telling them that Butch Gilzean had shot Mayor Cobblepot on the Southside docks. It was believable, given that Butch, Barbara, and Tabitha were waiting nearby.

A few moments later, the ambulance and a swarm of police vehicles arrived. Galavan, Kean, and Gilzean were all taken into custody (with some obvious difficulty) and Oswald was taken to Gotham General.

As Edward sat beside Oswald's hospital bed, he realized something.

"I love you." Edward whispers, tears pouring down his face. "And I am so sorry. But I can't stand to look at all that pain ice caused you, Oswald. I'm sorry, I have to go. Please don't have me... Please."

Edward left a note for Oswald, explaining that the guilt and fear were too much for him to bear, and he had to leave, and that he doesn't want Oswald to hate him, and he's leaving because he loves him, and he doesn't want to hurt him anymore.

When Oswald read the note, his heart broke all over again. Edward loved him, he really loved him, but he was leaving him here. He abandoned him.

After weeks in the hospital, Oswald was cleared to go home. But it didn't feel like home to him. It felt so cold and empty without Edward here. It felt wrong.

Oswald was barely eating, he would barely get out of bed some days. It was really starting to piss Zsasz off, so the assassin decided to go find Nygma and bring that skinny dumbass back home.

After a few days of searching, he found Edward in a shitty apartment in The Narrows, apparently he was making money as an entertainer at Cherry's Place.

Zsasz didn't bother talking to the idiot in a sparkly green suit. He just dragged Edward out to the car and shoved him in the backseat.

"This could be considered kidnapping, you know!" Ed shouted at Zsasz, who was utterly unfazed by the thought of simple kidnapping being on his bloody, bullet-riddled, tally-marked rap sheet.

"You're gonna apologize and make things right with the mayor, or you're gonna have to deal with me. And between you and me, babe, he's a lot better company..." Zsasz says, making intense eye contact in the rear view mirror.

Once they returned to the mansion, Zsasz shoved Edward into Oswald's office. Oswald was rather understandably shocked.

"Say it, string bean." Zsasz says, pushing Ed toward Cobblepot's desk.

"I'm sorry for leaving, Oswald. I was guilty, ashamed, and afraid I would hurt you again. So I left, not knowing it would hurt you even more. I'm so sorry." Ed says quietly, looking down at the floor.

"Oh, Edward." Oswald says, limping over to where he stood. He reached up and held Edward's face in his hands. "You're here now. That's all that matters."

Zsasz left the room then to give them some privacy, satisfied by the sound of objects falling off of Oswald's desk.

"Problem solved." He says to Wendell as the two headed out to go to Victor's favorite milkshake joint.

×