"You ruined everything. And you'll never collect it again. I'm leaving tomorrow to look for my family. I'm not coming back here anymore."

"Dell, I'm begging."

"Don't you dare. You're a psychopath. First you hit — then you ask for forgiveness. First you say you love me more than life, and then you throw her into a dark basement. You need treatment, Troy."

"Oh, how you talk... My conscious one, why did you put up with this before?" Otto growled it right in my ear. The stubble on his cheek pricked my temple slightly, and I jerked.

"Because I thought you were worth something."

"No. Because you liked it, and you like it. You like my rudeness and cruelty, it excites you because you are the same. Otherwise you wouldn't be with me. We're like two peas. It's just that you're a woman and you obey moral norms, so you're softer. But don't pretend to be fluffy!"

His low, rough voice gave me goosebumps. Now I was afraid of him. I silently turned around and went into the house, trying not to show that fear had deeply pierced my body.

Once in our room, I started to pack my things. They all fit in my backpack, so I finished pretty quickly. Now I need to get out of here somehow. Climb over the gate in the same place where I climbed here the first time. A shiver ran through me, the memories of the first meeting with Troy were so fresh that it seemed to me that I felt the cold of iron on my shoulder again. You need to take some food from the warehouse and fill the canister with water. Maybe I'll meet Dean again. Then the two of us will go to El Bazaar. This will be the easiest way.

I ran out into the hallway and headed for the front door. As soon as I opened it, I immediately ran into Otto. He raised an eyebrow at my backpack.

"How far are you going, Dell?" The phrase sounded snide and malicious.

"Let me pass, please."

Troy pushed me away from the door and grabbed me by the shoulders. Slightly crouching down to be the same height with me, he said in a calm voice:

"Della, wake up. I won't let you go. You understand that, don't you?"

"Troy, for the sake of everything that happened between us, let me go. Don't ruin everything completely."

Then Otto knelt down and grabbed my wrists.

"I'm begging you! You can't do this to me! I love you!"

"It's not love, Troy! I'm not right for you!"

"I know, I know, Della, I'm sorry, I'll fix it. I promise I won't lay a finger on you again!"

"You already promised. I have to leave. The management of the ranch has finally driven you crazy!"

"Della, I'm going to prove to you that I can be different. Just stay..."

"No! I said I was leaving. Give me a car with gasoline and supplies. I'll find my family and Clarks."

"I can't let you go."

"If you want to prove something to me, you'll have to do it. Otherwise, your only way to keep me is to lock me in the basement."

Troy abruptly stood up and let go of my hands.

"You're right. I'm going crazy. I had no right to behave like that. You can take any car and everything else you need," Otto waved his hand towards the door, "just please come back as soon as you're ready."

"I can't promise that."

"I'm begging... All that matters to me is that you're okay, Dell. There's nothing outside the ranch. You know that. Come back as soon as you can."

I nodded, trying to make it sound as sincere as possible.

"Go away. Faster. I can't be sure I won't change my mind."

"Thanks."

I ran to the warehouse. I didn't have to turn around to realize that Troy was standing in the doorway of the front door and boring into my back with his eyes—I knew for sure that it was so.

After 10 minutes I was ready to go. Otto waved his hand to open the gate for me. There was no time to say goodbye, but I hoped that Alisha would understand.

Troy went to the car window.

"Dell, please don't leave me alone forever. I need you."

I didn't say anything.

"Take care of yourself."

"You too, Troy."

He nodded. And I left the ranch. Only after a couple of kilometers I felt relieved. Freedom. I didn't believe it. Is it really real? I left. I could.

After driving another twenty minutes, I saw a figure ahead. At first I thought it was Walker, but deep down I hoped it was Dean. And lo and behold! It was him. I drove up and opened the passenger window.

"Jump!"

"Della, how did you get here?!  Dean screamed in surprise and joy."

"Don't ask. I'm not able to talk yet..."