Freedom

After a couple of seconds, my eyes adjusted to the darkness, and I realized where the sound was coming from. This rustle was made by a dead man. His sleeve caught on a nail in the wall, so he just hopelessly waved his hands, wanting to get me. The walker was already pretty decomposed, so I couldn't identify him. Only the military uniform indicated that the body, once quite short, belonged to the militia. He's obviously been here since Ophelia was poisoned.... I pulled a knife out of my boot and pierced the dead man's head. For a while I tried to make out his face, but to no avail. But stop... How did he even get here? It dawned on me. So there is a way out.

I began to examine the walls in search of some loophole. It was quite difficult to do this. It was night outside, I didn't have any light source at all. After 10 minutes of unsuccessfully rubbing my hands against the wall, I finally found the hole. It wasn't very big, but it didn't cost anything to go through it. I wonder what brought this walker here? Must have chased some rat...

Carefully squeezing through the hole, I found myself on the street. The music was still playing, still having fun. I decided to go in search of Troy. It turned out to be much easier to do this than I expected. Otto and a couple of soldiers were standing at the gate. Dean was with them, and a militia man's rifle was pointed at him. I ran up to them.

"Troy!"

At my shout, Otto turned around.

"Hey... how you... got out?! However, it doesn't matter. Green," Troy said to one of the soldiers, "take her inside. She shouldn't see this."

"Troy, please!"

Otto looked at me with empty eyes. It was obvious that it was useless to dissuade him.

"Let him go! Just get him off the ranch!"

"No."

"Troy, even the Indians have been kind to you..."

Otto thought about it. He nodded to the second soldier, who lowered his rifle.

"Say thank you to your failed lover, Dean."

I decided not to contradict Troy at this moment. I didn't want Dean to get hurt.

"Go away," Troy gestured to the guards to open the gate, "in 30 seconds they opened."

"Where to?!"

"There's a house there... " I started, but Troy turned around and gave me a withering look.

"You'll figure it out yourself. I don't fucking care."

Dean looked at me sadly. I whispered to him, "go away," expressing all the disappointment on his face, he turned around and walked away at a brisk pace. I was hoping that Troy would come to his senses, and tomorrow we would find Dean somewhere in the desert. But now it was useless to argue and beg, Otto was furious.

When Dean disappeared, I silently turned around and walked towards the party.

"Della," Troy grabbed my hand, and I immediately pulled it away.

"Fuck off. I'm leaving you."

"No," he said without emotion.

"Yes. And don't you dare lay a finger on me. I'll scream at the whole ranch, everyone will come running to see, they still remember what a psycho you are!"

"Don't do this to me, Dell... I love you!"

"You wanted to kill a man for an innocent dance! We have nothing to talk about."

"Are you ready to ruin everything because of some snotty boy?!"

Then I turned around, took a couple of steps towards Otto and said: