Chapter 16: Trust

Now playing: I knew you were trouble [Taylor swift]
⏪ ⏸️ ⏩ 🔊

Ron has had enough. This was getting out of hand. He was losing his touch with Har-Hadrian and it was frustrating. They used to share everything, do everything together, but now it was as if he was keeping something from him.

Was Dumbledore right this whole time? Did he know something Ron doesn't? Even Hermione was getting distant. Did they get to her too?

When he saw Hadrian along with half the students leave, he just had to consult Dumbledore. Heck, even Slughorn was absent, and that wasn't like him. He would usually be sitting by his desk waiting until everyone was seated.

Ron quickly gathered his things and made his way toward Dumbledore's office. He heard a few voices coming from his left, but he had much more important matters to deal with.

The halls were partially empty, but he wasn't going to stop now. Once Infront of the gargoyle that held all access to his office, he muttered the password, thus creating an opening for him.

He climbed up the stairs until he came face to face with the dark oak wood door. He knocked three times, before hearing a crisp 'come in' from the other side.

Ron pushed open the door without care.

He was soon face to face with a focused Dumbledore, scanning through a heap of parchment. "Professor, I'm starting to think this whole thing is a waste of time, let's just ask him-"

"No!" Dumbledore bellowed in fear, but it was hardly noticable. Ron jumped at the sudden intensity of his voice. Dumbledore, picking up on it, relaxed back into his chair with a huff, "Sorry my boy, I am under a lit of stress right now and I wouldn't want some Death eaters on my back."

Ron seemed to doubt his true intentions, "Have a lemon drop my boy." Dumbledore said, pushing the tray of lemon drops closer to the redhead, who gladly took one.

As soon as the lemon drop made contact with his tongue, he stiffened up, but it was only for a brief second. He looked around as if confused of where he was.

Dumbledore leaned forward on his chair, "Now my boy, do you have a clue as to why I am not allowed access to Harry's vault?" He let the question sink in.

Ron just shook his head in ignorance, "I had heard, he went into inheritance, as you know, maybe he knows of the activity going on in his vault." Ron casually stated.

Dumbledore froze, as if he came across a foreign thought, 'Inheritances don't normally focus on vault activities, so that is impossible.' his thoughts straying to different places.

Ron stood in place waiting. Dumbledore snapped his fingers. "You may go back to class." He ordered but Ron didn't move. He shook slightly, but no movement was made.

Dumbledore just stared at him in boredom, 'It seems the drops were a bit to much for the boy.'

Ron blinked rapidly, "...I don't understand. Why would Harry willingly allow us to take money from his vault? He has been saying he needed money for a whole load of stuff, so why waste it on us?"

Dumbledore knew it would come to this one day, "He just wants to show his appreciation toward you and your family. Is that hard to believe Mister Weasley?" To which Ron just shook his head.

"I am also sure, you must know why Harry has been quite distant lately. I had heard he seems to be lurking around the dungeons nowadays."

Ron swore he felt a little tug in his brain, but that wasn't important. He mind strayed for a second, " Malfoy. He must have something to do with this, he's always up to something." He spat with venom.

He didn't know when or how Malfoy came into the picture, but he was sure that it was his fault in a way. How else would there be mutual understanding between him and Hadrian? Dumbledore clapped his hands, pulling Ron out of his thoughts.

"I suggest you get back to class, wouldn't want to be late now would we?" With that Dumbledore left no room for argument.

Once Ron was out of the door, and away from earshot, Dumbledore swiped his hand across the table, knocking down all the contents. "That boy, I told him not to approach Potter until further notice." He grumbled.

He wanted to get rid of him for his petty mistake. But he was essential to his plan. He had to take a trip to Gringotts but that would just push him into deeper waters. With all the money he owed Molly, it was going to give him trouble.

Ginny was very specific that if she was not payed, she would tell Molly about the money he supposedly stole. 'This is going to a problem.'

His eyes twinkled, "I'm sure Miss Ginevra Weasley wouldn't mind a brief meeting."

///////////

Hadrian wasn't going to leave until he made sure Draco was fine, but these girls were making it such a hassle. They were standing their ground with the best of their abilities but they could only have so much control.

Daphne wobbled forward, "F-fine, let's make a deal. If you a-allow us to enter f-first, we will allow you to enter after we have made sure he is fine." She held eye contact for a few seconds before it began to be too much for her.

Hadrian wanted to enter now, but if it meant waiting just a bit longer, then he would do that. For Draco.

He nodded in understanding. The girls took that as good sign before Pansy cast a small 'Alhomora'. They pilled in, only to shut the door once they were all inside.

All Hadrian could do was wait.

///////////

The room had the curtains drawn with little streams of light peeking throw the slits, the lights were off and Draco sat on the floor hugging his knees to his chest.

There were tear marks streaming along his face, as he shivered slightly. It was a shock he hadn't fainted out of exhaustion.

Pansy went to his side and rubbed circles on his back, trying to get his to tell her what was wrong. But he wouldn't say, he just sat there. The girls were starting to lose hope.

But they knew if they ever wanted him to relax, they needed someone in close touch with him. Someone who can calm him down. Someone who has the right motive and intuition.

Hadrian.

I mean, the others had all the aspects, but Hadrian was a better option. It just felt right. He seemed to care more about Draco than he led on.

They were about to go and call for him, but it seemed like he had done enough waiting when the door swung open.

He was very impatient.