21. To Reject Someone

Start from the beginning

Lilly smiles, a hopeful look brightening her face.

"I'm going back. Tell Brax I will be in my room," she says as a goodbye, and I watch her walk back the path we came from with a bitter taste in my mouth.

I grit my teeth, forcing myself to stay put. I was doing the right thing, there couldn't be a thing between Lilly and I.

Besides, I couldn't understand why it upset me so much. I barely know her... and still, I could easily say what kind of person she was, the way she treats and acts around Brax is telling. Watching her in that dress last night must have done something to me. Did I desire her? Yes. Desiring someone is normal. I just have to wait until my feelings toward her dissipate. There was no reason for it to last.

I decided to send Brax to Lilly so I could go for a fly. I needed to shift and spend my energy. I needed to stretch my wings and release my frustrations.

"Come on, Brax! Time to go back!"

I wait in my spot for him, and I pretend that I don't sense him behind me.

"ROARRR!" Brax jumps from a tree and lands on my shoulder, his front paw landing on my head. He moves his head to bite down on my nose.

"Oh! For the gods!" I exclaimed and pretended to stumble.

He barks and grumbles in a laugh.

I raise my arms to pull him off me.

"Next time, buddy, don't scream when you attack. By screaming you alert your enemy of your position and intention," I warn him, nudging his snout.

He huffs annoyed and turns his head, ignoring me.

I chuckle, unable to call out his childish act because, after all, he was a child.

Calling my personal butler, Joseph, I tell Brax to go with him, and that Joseph will take him to Lilly. At the mention of her, he perks up and jumps on Joseph's shoulder, who tenses, still holding the square pillow he brings to transport the young prince. I smile not minding. Brax was a laid-back kid. He knew I trusted Joseph so Brax didn't have reservations about him, acting like his true self around him.

"My lord." he bows when I pass him to go outside.

Once outside I shift and with a roar, I lift myself to the air. I growl, enjoying the feeling of the air hitting my scales. It's been a while, and the first thought that came to my mind was how Lilly would react at the sight of my beast. Would she like my beast form? Would she fear me? Would it scare her away?

I shake my head. I refuse to keep thinking of her. I needed to get my priorities straight, I couldn't get distracted from my duties as the king.

 I needed to get my priorities straight, I couldn't get distracted from my duties as the king

When I decided to get back to the palace, the sun was just starting to set. Once at the palace, I return to my human form, walking lazily through the hallways. When I find my second waiting outside my office. I know it's going to be a long night picking up the tasks I left unattended due to my little escapade.

"Cassian requested permission to visit," Deryl says once I am installed behind my desk.

I tense at the mention of my cousin, the image of him chatting with Lilly coming to the front of my mind.

I frown.

"Why?"

"He only said he wished to visit the grounds before going back home to Elythia"

My beast didn't like the idea of him being close to Lilly, but he was my cousin, and her daughter, my niece, was Brax's cousin. It would be unreasonable of me to deny my family.

"I accept his request. But I want to be notified whenever he comes and goes, understood?" Deryl nods and sits back to help me with some reading, which I'm grateful for.

I go back to my chambers late at night and allow Brax to spend the night with Lilly. The room felt empty without him, but I knew Brax was safe.

I fell on the bed only willing to take my shoes off before succumbing to sleep.