34. The Uncertainty of Tomorrow

Happy reading, my lovers

Lilly:

I've been awake for a while now, and despite feeling a bit guilty about the feeling, I was glad Phoenix wasn't around to sense my heartbeat accelerating by the minute. He was the first to wake up as usual and kissed me goodbye to attend to his duties. 

Seeing his empty side always left me wondering how would be the best way to approach the subject about the scars on his back. He was a king, that has lived for many years, so there was a possibility they were from war, but there was a nagging feeling inside me telling me to doubt that. I always end up cowering and keeping my mouth shut.

Brax was out with his instructor to teach him about dragon life to better his abilities and to give him stimulation. Much like kindergarten, I suppose.

I, on the other hand, was afraid of leaving the bed. I woke up with my body feeling more stiff than other days, and it was freaking terrifying. "How much longer will this continue? When will it end? When will I be able to heal?

Phoenix had brought a healer to inspect me three days ago, a day after we had mated. It wasn't his trusted one because she was away on a spiritual journey, but will come as soon as she was able to.

I force myself to sit and wince when I finally sit upright. The layer over my skin was tight as always, and even though I would usually shower in the mornings, I didn't want to. After every shower, the layer felt dry and it hurt more.

I reach out for the creamy elixir the healer has given me. It was the same elixir that was given to the youngsters when it was their time to shed their skin. The adults do not always use it because they got used to the shedding and simply tolerated the sensation, but the young didn't handle pain and itchiness very well.

The healer was surprised when he saw me. He said he had never seen a human going through what I was going through, and said he would do research about my condition.

He took an example of the layer, which hurt like hell and Phoenix didn't like one bit that he caused me pain. I needed to remind him that it was needed to know what this layer was. Though the healer said it looked the same when a dragon shed, they don't take this long to shed. Normally it would take a few days to a week. And I've been struggling with this layer for over a month now.

When I finish putting the lotion-like elixir, I stand up and slowly walk toward the closet to get dressed in the loosest dress I own so it doesn't bother me with each friction.

The layer was now covering my stomach, only reaching the beginning of my breast. And I also noticed the layer was now starting to cover the tip of my ears. I could only pray it would end soon.

Once I finish eating breakfast, I sit outside to read under the shelter of a big tree

Once I finish eating breakfast, I sit outside to read under the shelter of a big tree. I sit on the bench and open the book, knowing that my time having full peace and quiet was counted because he would come searching for me once Brax had a break from his classes. And everyone knows that the chances of relaxing with a toddler are almost none.