21. To Reject Someone

N/A: hello my loves, this week you are getting two chapters because Christmas! I'll publish again the 25th and from then I won't make you wait a whole week for a chapter but it won't be two chapter per week either.

I would love to do that! But I'm afraid that I'll run out of chapter and make you wait if I can't write a whole chapter the next day, so after Monday 25th, I'm post Friday, then Wednesday and so on... hope I was able to explain.

Now happy reading y'all!😘

Phoenix:

Once Lilly finishes her tea, I invite her for a stroll. She looked surprised as if she was expecting me to stay away rather than ask her for time together. If I'm being honest, I invited her because I felt responsible for talking to her about what happened last night between us.

I needed to force myself to suppress my feelings about what happened. I was a king, and I had a duty. She couldn't be my queen, she would be eaten alive. I needed to start getting some distance between us. I just couldn't indulge in my desires right now. I have a son and a kingdom to take care of.

I let Brax venture alone in the garden before us. I was able to pinpoint his exact location with my enhanced senses.

We walk in silence for a while. I try to find a way to touch the subject without hurting her feelings.

It's Lilly who breaks the silence.

"I feel like I need to apologize for last night..." she starts by saying in a quiet voice as if she wasn't sure what to say. "I know it was your beast in charge and I feel bad you were forced to endure the dance between us... And maybe I should have talked your beast about doing something against your will."

Her eyes were cast down, her hair hiding her face from me. I was unable to decipher her expression, to see how she was feeling, what were her real thoughts about all this.

"No need to apologize, Lilly. It was all my beast doing and it is my responsibility to control him," I say slowly. "Even if it was something harmless, is best that something like that doesn't happen again."

I see her nod. She doesn't say a word. Her silence was a bit... unsettling. She always had something to say to me.

Next, when she raises her eyes to me, what comes out of her mouth takes me by surprise.

"If I were a dragon, would things be different?"

She stops walking, making me stop abruptly. Her eyes were shining, soft, but persistent.

I swallow hard. Thinking about how to answer that.

Eventually, I decided the truth would be the safer option.

"Yes."

I see her swallow, and nod, a sudden sadness covering her expression, which I don't quite understand. My beast fights for control, angry at me for upsetting her, but I shut him up.

"Just one last thing..." I nodded, encouraging her, not prepared for her next question. "Do you think a shifter would accept me like a partner? Do you think someone would love me here, in this kingdom?"

My whole body tenses. My hands formed a fist and I had to swallow a growl. Why I didn't like her words? Her implications? Suddenly, the image of her with another male popped up in my mind and my beast felt murderous. He didn't like to share.

I had to remind myself she wasn't mine.

I force a smile. "I think there's always a possibility. I know dragons aren't very fond of humans, but there's always shifters that don't give a fuck who or what you are."