53. Trying Not To Lose My Mate

"Lilly..." I whispered, breathless. 

No. She did not... I'd warned her!

"Please! You need to release control!" I pleaded with Lilly's beasts, but she only growled at me, displeased. And before I could react, she opened her wings and rose to the sky disappearing into the darkness.

I couldn't believe this was happening...

"Lilly!" I called after her, to no avail.

My mind went into a panic. I... I.. failed to protect my mate and my son, and because I wasn't there, Lilly thought she had no other choice but to relent control to her beast to protect her and Brax. Fuck. I arrived too late, and now my mate had lost herself and I didn't know what to do.

I knew sending guards to tail her would probably end in more dead bodies, so I forced myself to stay put and give her time and space. Right now there was no reasoning with her beast and I needed to comfort my son.

With a heavy heart, I walked to where my guard was looking after my son and I froze when I saw one of my men bandaging one of his wings. His whines of pain broke my heart, and when the man was done I cradled my boy in my arms.

Brax cried for his momma and me, and I had to swallow the tears. I didn't know if her momma was still there, but I'll make damn sure to try and bring her back.

"Let's go back home, my baby boy," I cooed at him.

I needed to take him to the doctor now to check his broken wing. That bitch was lucky to be dead. If it were up to me, I would revive the moutherfucker only to kill her painfully slow all over again.

Brax cried the whole way back to the palace, and once on the infirmary on the first floor of the palace, he kept looking around, looking for Lilly, and it broke my heart seeing him like this. So upset and in pain, but Lilly's beast took her away selfishly, and right now, I wasn't too fond of her.

My beast had to remind me that it wasn't personal, it was just nature. This wouldn't have happened if Lilly had been a dragon shifter for a longer time and had bonded with her beast.

Still, I was upset with her. She took her son's mom away, and I'll never forgive her for that.

Once the doctor was done putting a small wooden plank under Brax's wing, and then covering it with a bandage, I took Brax back to our room, ordering his favorite food, but once it arrived, he didn't move from his position at the window, mopping, waiting for his momma.

I sighed, the situation was too hard on me, and I didn't know how to navigate it alone.

"Buddy, please, come and eat something you need it," I pushed, doubting if I should force the food on him.

He simply grumbled sadly, not even sparing me a single glance.

I ended up eating his food so it wouldn't go to waste and ordered some fruit compote he could easily drink from a big enough straw.

I laid the bowl next to him and nudged him to open his mouth so I could put the straw in. And once it was in, I ordered him to drink or I'd move him.

He drank the smashed fruit until the bowl was empty. I refilled it a bit more and he continued eating. It broke me even more to realize how much he must have starved while kidnapped. I blamed myself for it. I failed both my mate and son, and now, their hearts were broken and apart from each other.

I was also disappointed in my safety unit and made Deryl fix it so there were no holes in between rotations and filled the blind spots with more vigilance orbs. Karah shouldn't have been able to go so deep into palace territory unnoticed.