Chapter Fifteen

Happy reading!

And all of a sudden

i felt very tired.

like the world has drained me

for everything i had.

-Unknown

The palace, once grand, now looked like a magical story unfolding. Lights twinkled in every corner, and flowers carefully arranged added a touch of enchantment. As the sun dipped below the horizon, I found myself on the terrace, taking in the spectacular scene below. Laughter, music, and the bustling preparations filled the air, creating a palpable sense of excitement.

Inside my room, I donned a bright yellow dress, supposed to celebrate the night before my wedding day. My hair was neatly braided, adorned with flowers, and I wore delicate earrings and bracelets. The room was a hive of activity with many girls, some from the palace staff, and a few from the sultan's group. They were applying henna to my hands, each design telling a story.

Amidst all the commotion, I sat quietly, my mind elsewhere. Happiness seemed elusive as I stared at the festivities around me. The swirl of emotions within me was hidden behind a veil of celebration.

As I sat amidst the whirl of activities, memories flooded back. I pondered my father's beaming pride when I accepted the sultan's proposal, oblivious to the tempest raging within me. The image of Burhan lingered, a bittersweet memory that I attempted to bury beneath the layers of festivity. 

I couldn't shake the feeling of being a fool, realizing I had fallen for someone who hadn't reciprocated my feelings. Since that heart-wrenching day when Burhan urged me to marry the sultan, I hadn't crossed paths with him.

Aysha, a girl with a radiant smile and lively eyes, delicately applied henna to my hands, striking up a conversation. "Malika, you are so lucky to be getting married to the sultan. He is so charming and loyal. Never once has he ever visited the harem for a girl."

Lost in my thoughts, I responded with a forced smile. The title 'Malika' felt foreign, a stark reminder of my impending role. Silently, I avoided expressing my disinterest in hearing about the sultan, who was soon becoming a central character in my life story. As Aysha and everyone else now called me Malika, I observed the shift but chose not to voice my feelings, not wanting to appear rude. I continued to listen, passing Aysha a forced smile.

As Aysha continued speaking, my attention wavered between the lively songs and dances in the chamber and the persistent turmoil within. Later that night, Amna and Aminah burst into the room, the exuberance of the festivities radiating from their faces.

"Noor, the courtyard is like a dream. Everyone is so happy for you," Aminah exclaimed."Yes, Noor! The kingdom is celebrating your union. You should see the lights and decorations," added Amna.

Caught between celebration and contemplation, I nodded, torn between the joy outside and the conflicted thoughts within. Amna and Aminah sensed my unease, attempting to immerse me in the traditional rituals. As they applied ubtan on my arms and face, Amna explained, "This gives the bride a nice glow on her wedding day." Feeling a tad annoyed, I attempted to refuse, but their insistence prevailed.

"Trust us, Noor. You'll look enchanting, and the sultan will be captivated," Amna reassured me, their voices blending with the rhythm of the traditional songs.

Later in the night, Amna and Aminah assisted me in a relaxing bath, a quiet ritual amidst the lingering festivities. As everyone started leaving, they guided me to my bed, sharing encouraging words. "You should get a nice sleep for refreshment before the big day of your wedding to the king," Amna suggested kindly. Soon, they also left the room, blowing out the candles near me, leaving me in the dim glow of the moonlight.

The room turned dark, but sleep eluded me. The upcoming wedding weighed on me, overshadowing the celebrations outside. In the quiet night, conflicting feelings overwhelmed me. I wished for some control amidst the grand celebration, constantly thinking about the next day, an event I dreaded the most.

------------------------------------------------------------

First of all i would like to thank all the people reading my story. I am new to writing stories and this is my first story. I know that not many people are reading my story but those who are, your votes and comments are really motivating me to continue writing. 

Please keep supporting and sharing my story, it really helps me to write more. I love you guyz<3

-----------------------------------------------------------

Thoughts on the chapter?

The next chapter is going to be about the wedding day. So excited!

Do vote and comment! <3