Twenty-Six

Sloan's POV

Sean and Addi left a few hours ago. But Carter and I haven't been able to have a moment alone to dive deep into what had just transpired. Turner had come back downstairs after they had left and Carter promised him a movie and pizza, so that's what he gave him. That occupied us for the rest of the night. 

Now, Carter and I were getting ready for bed and there was finally a moment for us to talk. For me to ask how he felt about this newfound information about his family, and about then tell him about Sean and I's conversation. 

I was lying on the bed already. My boxers hung low on my hips, and no shirt. Which was already strange for me. With Z, I was never shirtless around him or ever walked around in my boxers. He had only ever seen my dick, that was it. I always thought that the rest of my body was too special to be shown to just anyone. 

But here I was now. Putting myself on full display for not just anyone. For my mate. For MY Carter. This body was his. I was pushing it right now. This was the first time that I had been this...open to him. We both usually wear sweats to bed, but I just couldn't take it anymore. I usually sleep naked, but I knew we weren't there yet. No matter how badly I wanted us to be. 

The door swung open and the steam left the bathroom before I saw him. And I supposed Carter had the same idea. He was wearing sweatpants that hung low on his hips as well. Showing off his v-line that made me squirm in my seat. Carter looked over at me, his eyes wide in surprise as he drank me in. 

I was laid out lazily on the bed. My legs spread open, and one arm rested behind my head. And my other hand holding my phone, texting Delany and trying to plan a time for us to call. As well as Ezra blowing me up saying that we need to tell him where we are so he can come see us. 

Carter immediately turned away, but I could see him straining himself not to look. I wanted to yell boo at him and tell him to look but I don't know if right now is the time for teasing. Once his durag was on he walked out and sat at the end of the bed, crisscrossing applesauce looking at me. 

He didn't put a shirt on.

Magnificent.

I immediately put my phone down and I gave him my full attention. But I didn't make a move to stop my sprawling. I find it amusing that he is doing everything in his power to not look at me.

'What did you and Sean talk about?' He asked, raising his brow slightly.

"He wanted to see if anything changed in our friendship." I felt a familiar sadness come back into my chest. I hadn't realized it was there, but it was. And seeing Sean elevated that feeling and I was left hurting. Knowing that my best friend caused so much to my mate. But also that he was in so much pain and I had no idea.

'Have they?' Carter asked, sympathy on his face.

"I think. But I think a lot of things have changed. It's just now a matter of figuring out how they did." I shrugged and Carter nodded in agreement. Things were different now, and we had to accept it. Though I wished they would stop happening so fast. I needed a break, and I'm sure Carter did too.

'You don't have to stop being friends with him for me, you know.' Carter scooted himself further on the bed to where he was sitting right beside my knee. His thighs brushed against me.

"I know, lightning. But right now, my focus is on you." I sighed as I watched Carter avert his gaze and how he tried to fight the smile that was slowly crawling onto his face. I knew he loved when I said sweet things to him. "How are you feeling about Addi's confession...about your dads."