Ten

Sloan's POV

Carter hadn't moved from the couch in four days. He just kept Cars on repeat. Only got up to use the bathroom and shower and it would only be a five-minute long break and he was back.

He ate whenever I made something for him, but I never saw him eat it. I recognized pretty early that he would only eat when I wasn't around. So I would take longer showers, or hang out upstairs for a bit to give him time to eat.

In these four days, Carter also hadn't said a word. Not a single word. Which broke me because it was the complete opposite of who he was. He was a talker, and I loved listening to him. He made snarky comments, he made jokes. His voice was also heaven on earth to me, it warmed me and made me feel like the only man on earth. So to not hear that...it was breaking me. 

He would fall asleep on occasion but then I would always restart the movies for him, so when he woke up it wasn't off.

I sat firmly on the opposite couch, not moving and only going on my phone when he was sleeping. I didn't want him to think I was giving his location away or I was bored. I wasn't. I don't think I'd ever be bored in his presence. It was Carter we were talking about. I liked just being in his presence.

Carter was asleep now, snoring lightly. Which meant I was able to get on my phone just for a bit. And try to stop it from vibrating consistently in my pocket. Which has been happening for the past few days. I do wonder if Carter ever heard it, if he did he didn't say anything.

--------------

Pops: He doing okay?

Flo: Call me when you can.

Ezra: Tell Carter to text me if he gets another phone.

Uncle Ray: Tell Carter we're thinking about him.

Sean:
Where are you? 

I texted my family back saying the usual we're okay, and all that. But I ignore Sean's text, as I have been since leaving. I was angry with him. Something was going on that I didn't quite know yet, but I'd figure it out. And Sean was in it too. Whatever he said to piss Carter off must have been terrible. And that fact disgusted me to my core. So until I can fugure out what was said, I was keeping my distance from him until further notice.

To be honest, I've been enjoying this time with Carter. Even though he isn't talking yet, I can't help but think maybe this is what we needed. Not to talk to each other. Give us time to process us being mates and being around each other. I feel like any time I talk to him I annoy him, or I say the wrong thing and fuck everything up. Carter and I had never been so at peace with each other like we have in these past four days. We found a routine, and it was easy and it was fucking nice just being around him. Not doing anything.

It's also made our mate bond stronger. So much so that I couldn't sleep upstairs anymore. I had to be near him, so at night, I slept right here on the couch. I hadn't left the house either. Rena and Dani brought us groceries when we got low, but other than that, I had no interaction with anyone else.

Loren had told me he couldn't sense his lycan. That Theodore was hiding, and I wonder if that has also affected Carter and his mood. I know how close he and his lycan are. And I know Loren is in love with Theodore has been for ages, so this is affecting him too. One day I'll let him front and meet his Theodore, and I hope Theo accepts Loren with open arms.

Carter started to twist around which signaled he was about to wake up so I shoved my phone in my pocket and laid down. His eyes flickered to me for just a moment but then went right to the TV as expected. He always did that after he would wake up. He would look right at me. I can't help but wonder if he is scared that one day he'd wake up and I'd be gone.