CHAPTER 11

Mia flipped through the clothes on the rack, her heart racing with excitement when she found the most prettiest dress. It was a short white dress with blue flowers on it. She went to try it on, Jack leaning against a nearby wall waiting to see what it looked like.
When she came out, Jack couldn't help but burst of laughing. Mia's smile faded, giving him a disdained look.
"What the hell is so funny?" she asked unamused. She waited for him to stop laughing.
"You look like you're headed to church. Got any candy in your purse?" he laughed some more.
Mia growled and went to turn around to take off the dress.
"Woah, woah, woah, toots. I'm just picking," he said grabbing her arm. "Get a grip, would ya?" He chuckled softly adjusting the straps to her dress.
"Are you? Cause I thought it was cute. Only modest thing I'd have on this trip anyways," she chuckled.
"Find something else you like, for the rest of the trip," his tone soft.
She smiled as he placed a soft kiss on her forehead before she went to change back into her clothes. She finished getting dressed and went to finish up her shopping, Jack wandering off doing his own thing. She hummed softly and moved some clothes to the side on the rack. She pulled some things off the rack here and there, some outfits draped over her arm.
She went to turn a corner and froze, her heart pounding out of her chest and her blood running cold. An older man who looked like Tony was across the store in the men's section. She felt like she had tunnel vision. Jack noticed her from a distance and saw she was as white as a ghost. He knitted his brows as he approached her.
"What happened?" he asked grabbing the clothes from her arm.
Mia laughed at herself and let out a soft sigh, trying to calm down. She turned and the man was gone.
"Nothing, I just-" She stopped and smiled, shaking her head. "I thought I saw someone I knew."
She didn't want there to be an argument. Anytime Tony was brought up, Jack grew insecure and lashed out.

• • • • • • • • • •

Mia's leg bounced up and down as she stared out the window. She watched pedestrians cross the streets while she bit the skin on her lip. Was that Tony? She thought she was going crazy.
Jack looked down at her leg then over at Mia.
"What's wrong?" he asked dryly, the smoke from his cigarette leaving his lungs as he spoke.
"Huh?" She knitted her brows as she looked at him. She watched one of his brows raise as if she were stupid. "Oh, nothing."
"Oh cut the bullshit," his tone exasperated as he furrowed his brows.
"No because we always seem to argue over it and you're already annoyed." She looked at him and the two were quiet. He was waiting for her to tell him and she sighed. "I thought I saw Tony."
Here we fucking go.
Jack looked at her and raised his brows, smoking lazily leaving his mouth. He said nothing as he stared out the windshield at the traffic, his fingers tapping the wheel as if he were a ticking time bomb. Mia's eyes closed as she mentally prepared herself for the screaming match.
"Listen, I'm sorry. I-"
"You're delusional, Mia! What're the fucking chances that he'd be here? Zero!" he shouted. "If I hear one more thing come out of your mouth about Tony, we're done! Do ya understand?" he asked, gripping her chin.
"Yes, you asshole", she cried pushing his hand off her.
"Good. I'm glad." He slicked back his hair and sighed. He rolled his eyes as she sniffled but deep down he felt bad. "Listen, toots. I wasn't trying to make ya feel bad. I'm just tired of hearing it. It's you and me now. He's gone." He pushed a piece of her hair out of her face, tucking it behind her ear.
"I know," she sniffled. "It just scared me. I don't know why." She sighed and wiped her tears, pulling down the sun visor and looking at her messed up makeup.
"Why'd it scare you?" he scoffed, his brows knitted in confusion. Mia closed the visor and looked at him.
"I don't know. Wouldn't you act the same way if you saw a tall woman with dark hair, especially the two of us together? It's awkward and I don't have time to deal with that kind of shit."
He shrugged and nodded knowing she had a point. He let out a sigh and squeezed her knee.
"At the end of the day, they ain't here. We're on vacation, we'll visit your parents, and we'll have fun. Fuck 'em both."