CHAPTER 7

"I can't fucking believe this." Mia stared at the letters laid out on the bed, Jack too busy smoking a cigarette and watching tv to even care. "Are you listening to me?"
He took a long drag and nodded staring at the tv. 
She rolled her eyes and turned towards the phone. "I'm calling Tony's agent again so be quiet."
"Yeah, yeah," Jack sighed as he got up, putting out his cigarette.
Mia watched him enter the bathroom, the dial tone buzzing in her ear.
"Did he answer?" Jack peeked around the corner when he heard the phone attach to the receiver.
"No. I don't know why he isn't answering." She ran her fingers through her hair and fell backwards onto the bed. "I hate him so much right now."
She felt tears fill her eyes again and quickly wiped them when she felt Jack's weight shift the bed.
"I know. I hate him too. I sound like a hypocrite," he chuckled. Mia smiled softly and sighed. Her smile grew larger as she felt Jack rub her inner thigh.
   "Not now. I'm too upset." She sat up and looked at Jack. "Why do you men do this? Why not just stay single?"
He shrugged. "There's a lot of reasons why men cheat or sleep around." He scooted closer to her and kissed her jaw. "They're probably seeking validation." Mia leaned her head to the side as he kissed down her neck. "Or they're bored." He gripped her neck with his hand and bit her skin gently.
"And what about you?" She pulled away from him with a smile and he scoffed.
"You sure do know how to kill the moment, don't ya?" He leaned back on his elbows and looked at her. "I do what I do. I don't know why I do it. I guess I just know I can pull any woman I want."
The phone began to ring, and Mia went to answer it, Jack sitting up quickly and gripping her wrist.
  "Don't be desperate."
The two of them stared at each other for a few seconds as the phone rang, Jack leaning in and kissing her softly.
Mia closed her eyes and laid back down onto the bed breathing heavily as he kissed all over her.
"Jack, please," she groaned trying to push him off her. He squeezed her thigh as he bit her, sliding his fingers in the side of her pajama shorts.
She moaned softly as his fingers pushed their way inside of her, the phone still ringing. "Jack, I'm serious!" She used her adrenaline and push him away quickly grabbing the phone.
"Hello?" She scooted away from Jack as he grazed his fingers across her back.
"Hi, love. It's Emma. We just finished working and what not. I had just now found a note Tony had left. I'm to call you to let you know he's on his way home to California. I hope everything's alright. He just up and left."
Mia was speechless and looked at Jack who was visibly annoyed with her.
"Hello?"
"Uh, yeah. Sorry." She laughed and rubbed her forehead. "Do you know what time he left?"
Mia listened to Emma and covered the bottom of the phone with her hand, frantically waving her hand to get Jack's attention.
"He's on the way home."

      •        •       •       •       •       •       •       •       •      •

She continued to chat with Emma for a little while longer as she watched Jack gather his things, eventually hanging up the phone. His back was facing her and the two of them were quiet as he put on his socks and shoes. It was clear he was still annoyed with her. Jack could feel her staring at him as he glared at the photo of her and Tony right in front of him.
  "What?" He stood up and looked at her as he tucked his shirt in. "I felt ya staring at me."
   Mia laughed and knitted her brows. "What do you mean 'what'? You have nothing to say?" She watched as he shook his head while looking at his watch. "Really? Nothing at all?"
Jack smiled and raised his brows. "Oh, I'm sorry. How silly of me! I forgot to be more concerned about a situation that ain't mine."
His smile faded as he put on his coat, his eyes still on Mia as he left the room. She heard him reach the bottom of the stairs and quickly raced to the landing.
"I know you're going to see her."
   He looked up at her and raised his brows.
"And what about it? We aren't going to be anything serious. Ever."
"Then stop toying with me and stop making shady remarks towards Tony."
"Fine by me, toots." He slapped the ball on the end of the railing and disappeared from her view.

      •        •       •       •       •       •       •       •       •      •

Mia was lying in bed when she heard a car pulling up the driveway. Her heart beat out of her chest. She made sure she cleaned thoroughly before Tony even arrived— she hid the letters back in the drawer right after Jack left and made sure she changed the sheets.
Tony frantically got out of the cab and saw her car was still in the driveway.
He was pissed.
He quickly unlocked the door and slammed it behind him. Mia jumped out of her skin and watched the bedroom door swing open.
   "Really? You can't answer your calls for me but can answer them for Emma?" Mia went to reply but he cut her off. "I've been worried sick, Mia Rose. Sick! You don't answer my calls, you don't answer my agents calls-" He stopped talking when she sat up quickly.
   "Are you worried about me or are you worried I was with Jack? Cause I tried calling you and I tried calling Bob, but none of you answered. Now stop fucking screaming at me so I can go back to sleep." She laid back down and crossed her arms. "If you don't believe me, that's not my issue."
   "Okay then," Tony replied confidently.
She heard him shuffling around looking all over the room for signs of any visitors which made her scoff.
   "You're joking. You're crazy. You need sleep, Tony."
He looked under the bed, in the closet, all around the house but found nothing. He walked up stairs again and looked at her. Then at the bed and the phone.
  "Why are the sheets changed? And why the hell is there a new phone?" He licked his teeth, Mia completely silent. "Answer me." She sighed and rolled on her back.
"I got my period and bled through. As for the phone, it wasn't working."
"Bull. I just installed it last month."
Mia laid there silently as Tony dug through the trash cans of both bedroom and bathroom. She heard him go downstairs and out front, not even a few minutes later she heard him pouring the entire trash bag onto the floor downstairs. She closed her eyes and held her breath when he came stomping up the steps.
"Whose credit card is this? Cause it's not mine and it's not yours."
"If you wanna act like that, open your fucking nightstand then." She clenched her jaw when he immediately got quiet. "Don't point your finger at me when you have three other fingers pointing back at yourself."
She got up and opened the closet to pack a bag. He stood there with his hands on his hips watching her.
"You wanna talk about me sleeping around? My little 'one night stand' was spur of the moment. Yours has clearly been going on for a while."
   "I love you. You know that." He looked down at his feet then back at her.
   "Yeah, well. You treated me like an object and we clearly don't trust each other."
   "Then I want you out for good." He turned to her as she headed towards the door. "I want all your stuff out by Saturday before I head back. And I want the keys."
   "Don't worry. I'll be sure I'm out," she scoffed while walking out the bedroom.