Chapter 19: Another Trip Down Memory Lane

Hannah's POV

When I open my eyes, I'm in a musty-smelling old barn. I know I've been here before. I can feel the familiarity in the air. I wipe my tear-streaked face as I take in my surroundings. To the left are a row of horses lining the wall, and to the right are cows. And I can hear chickens clucking away somewhere nearby, I'm assuming hiding in a coop.

"Are you okay? Where's Jonathan?" Eli asks from the top of the staircase.

"I'm fine, just took another trip down memory lane this morning. And I blipped here, so Jonathan shouldn't be far behind if he even decides to come," I shrug dejectedly.

Eli rubs my shoulders and nods understandingly. "You wanna go for a ride to help clear your mind?"

"Sure. Do I know how to ride?" I ask as I watch him saddle up a black horse.

"Yes," Eli smiles as I grab a saddle and choose a horse.

Eli points to a chestnut brown horse. "Ellie was kind of your horse before I was kidnapped."

I walk to her and stick my hand out for her to smell, which spooks her. She neighs at me and walks to the back of her stall. "I guess she doesn't like me anymore," I mumble sadly as I walk over to the far right end of the horses. There's this gray horse with white specks all over it. When I reach out, she doesn't shy away; instead, she nudges my hand for me to pet her. 

"That's Jonathan's horse," Eli whispers as he nudges me.

"That horse is pretty. What's her name?" Jonathan nods behind me.

I turn around to see the gray horse with white speckles trotting toward me. "Chaim, do you see this?"

"Yes. It doesn't make any sense. You've been around her before."

"She's eaten out of my hand a couple times but never has willingly come up to me," I mumble.

"What is the horse not friendly?" Jonathan asks as he walks to stand beside me.

"Eli told me that the horse won't let anyone get near her," I explain as I stare at the horse getting closer to me.

"Yeah, she does her own thing. Never has caused any problems for us; just likes to keep to herself, ya know? Don't blame her, but she seems to want you, Hannah," Chaim mentions as he saddles up Dusty.

I chuckle lightly as I walk up to the horse. "I told you that sooner or later, you'd trust me. What changed your mind?"

I hold my hand out for her, and she sniffs my hand for a few seconds before nudging it, demanding to be pet. I stroke her muzzle a few times, watching her appreciate the affection.

"Her name is Shadow, and she wants me to ride her." I walk over to the saddles hanging on the wall and grab the one I used on Ellie. I glance at Jonathan as he seems to be staring at Shadow. "You should saddle up Obsidian, Jonathan," I mumble as I watch him glance at me. "You were talking to her, weren't you?"

"Are you sure it's okay if I ride Obsidian? I don't want your boyfriend getting mad," Jonathan taunts as he brushes past me to grab a saddle, ignoring my question.

"It's also Lucifer's horse, but I said you can ride him for now, so you're fine." I roll my eyes at his sudden change in demeanor.

"Fine," he grunts as he tosses the saddle on Obsidian.

I gasp and nearly trip over my feet at the sudden memory. "Woah, are you okay?" Eli asks as he catches me before I fall over.

"Another memory."