Chapter 18: Old Man

Jonathan's POV

After tossing and turning all night, I don't have to open my eyes to know Hannah's not here with me. I want to know where she's at, just to make sure she's safe, but I'm afraid to find her with Eli since they literally relived their little love story.

Am I jealous? Fuck yes, but only because she doesn't remember ours. I'm deathly scared she will fall in love with Eli all over again because she is different. The light in her is dim, not as bright as it once was. She is my heart and soul, no matter what changes may occur, and I have to believe that everything happens for a reason.

After getting dressed, I make Hannah tea in a travel mug and track her scent. There were only a few places she'd be, so it was no surprise to find her at the library. Thankfully, she's asleep on the couch with a book in her lap.

"You're lucky I noticed you. Don't wake her up. She's been mumbling the last ten minutes in her sleep," Eli mutters from the paint room.

"So good I didn't even notice you," I chuckle, rolling my eyes.

"What's the point of having gifts if I don't use them?" He snaps as I watch him shake his head. "Is she going to be okay?" He whispers as he walks to me.

"Well, how was she last night?" I ask dryly.

"I don't know. I just got here about fifteen minutes ago and cleaned up her mess. Look what she painted."

I walk to a mostly black canvas and examine it closely. "She painted Purgatory," I gasp as I notice the little white strokes towards the top of the painting. "Do you think these are wraiths?"

"No idea, honestly. You could ask Asmodeus," Eli shrugs before staring directly behind me.

"It's the dark place, but I don't remember what it is. I'm sorry," Hannah murmurs behind me.

"How can you see us?" Eli gasps as he walks over to Hannah.

"Am I not supposed to see you? But I smelled tea, so that woke me up," she yawns as I hand her over the mug. "Thank you," she smiles before taking a sip.

I notice her human and angel energy is a tad lighter, still tainted with demon energy around the edges, but she's getting stronger.

"Looks like your trip down memory lane worked after all," I groan, unable to hide my distaste for their history.

"What do you mean?" Eli asks, confused.

"Her energy is better. It's not even remotely healed, but it's definitely better. I suggest you keep doing whatever you're doing then. I'll leave you guys to it," I add before walking through the library and spotting a copy of "Lord of the Flies" on the table by the sofa.

"They looked at each other, baffled, in love and hate," I whisper, glancing over at Hannah to see her reaction.

She gasps, "You left the notes in the book I read?"

"No, you did. That one is your copy. Mine's in the cabin and looks more worn out than this one. Lucifer gifted me the book nearly two decades ago. I hated the book then, but it started to make a lot more sense as I got older," I smirk sheepishly.

"I read the book because it's your favorite," she nods understandingly.

"I forgot you're old," Eli chuckles, slapping his knee for emphasis.

I groan, "I am not old."

"Cheer up, old man," Hannah giggles, nearly making my heart stop. I gaze at her and choke up. She doesn't remember, so it's only a coincidence.

She walks up to me, making my still heartbeat over time, and gently places her hand on my cheek. "I remember a little. What's today's date?"

"April 26th, why?" Eli mutters under his breath.