thirty-six

chapter thirty six:oh my, love is a lie── © websofopacity ──

chapter thirty six:
oh my, love is a lie
── © websofopacity ──

──────────────────────────────

Luther was sitting on a bed staring out a window at the destruction when Five entered the bedroom. He turned to see Five, who slid his hands into his pockets.

"How long do we have?" Luther asked as Five stood at the foot of the bed.

"A couple of hours. Could be more, could be less," he replied. Five looked around the room and furrowed his eyebrows. "Where's Sloane?"

"Raiding the wine cellar for our end-of-the-world party," Luther said, excited to tell Five about it.

"So I guess you guys know which way you're voting." Five rocked on his heels.

"You are more than welcome to join us," Luther replied, shrugging his massive shoulders.

"I am, unfortunately, still on the fence about that one," he sighed, peering down at the tacky teal carpet. Five looked back up at his brother. "I saw something last night that I was not supposed to see."

Luther nodded and pursed his lips. "Diego and Lila. I know. They do it on the stairs sometimes."

"No, I saw Dad." Five winced at the thought of one of his brothers having sex. "He was in his room with someone. He was making some deal. Before you ask, I don't know who or what the deal was. Everything is a blur."

"Well, it wasn't Sloane or me. We were doing other stuff," he said with a wide grin.

"Yeah, I get it, Luther. Thank you. Everyone was boning everyone last night," Five replied uncomfortably.

"Wait, did you and Anastasia—"

"Don't be ridiculous. She was nowhere to be found after the speeches. And anyway, you need to focus, all right?" Five scoffed, shaking his head. He started to pace like he always did when he was thinking and talking at the same time. Anastasia used to tease him about it at the Commission. "That story about the bells? There's something Dad isn't telling us. Think about it. When has the old man ever been straight with us?"

Luther shrugged again. "I don't know. He was ruthless in our performance reviews."

"He always gave me five stars," Five replied quietly with a brief smirk.

"Well, you were always Dad's favorite until you disappeared," Luther said, motioning toward Five.

"Not a chance. He hated all of us equally." Five shook his head. "That's off-topic, anyway. I'm old enough to trust my instinct, and it's telling me this is a trap. The old man has already brainwashed my wife into thinking it will solve our problems."

"And that's why you're on the fence?"

Five hesitated and tensed his jaw. "Yeah. She, uh, seems to think she'll see our son again if everything goes through the way it's supposed to. I don't believe it. My kid has been dead for the past thirteen years."