thirty-two

chapter thirty two:catastrophic blues── © websofopacity ──

chapter thirty two:
catastrophic blues
── © websofopacity ──

──────────────────────────────

Anastasia tapped lightly on Sloane's bedroom door. She thought she heard Sloane and Ben's voices behind the door through the terrible karaoke on the floor beneath. Anastasia walked through the closed door without waiting for permission to enter. Sloane looked up from the white fabric she was stitching. Ben stood across the room with his arms crossed.

"Stasie," Sloane started, but Anastasia raised her hand.

"I just came to check on you," she said. Ben rolled his eyes and walked out of the room, brushing against Anastasia's arm. She would deal with him later.

"Oh." Sloane looked down at the fabric and her needle.

"I imagine you're nervous," Anastasia said. She took a seat on the sofa across from Sloane, who nodded. "It's okay. Getting married is a big deal."

"Yeah, definitely." Sloane smiled to herself. She looked back up at Anastasia. "I have a big question for you. I don't want you to feel pressured to say 'yes'."

Anastasia tilted her head slightly. "Sure, anything."

"Would you like to be my maid of honor? Or is it the matron of honor? I don't know, I'm sorry," she burst out nervously.

"I would love to be your matron of honor, Sloane," Anastasia answered with a warm smile.

Sloane stayed silent for a moment before drawing in a sharp breath. "Is it crazy for me to hope a little that we won't be married for only two days?"

"Do you love him?" Anastasia asked. Sloane nodded again. "Then, you are not crazy for hoping that. Did Ben say something about it to you?"

"No, it's been weighing on me since Luther proposed last night. I want this to last longer. I don't know what to do to get more time with him. You understand, don't you?" Sloane replied. Her soft brown eyes longed for an answer or any kind of consolement.

Anastasia sighed and shook her head. "In a way, yes. I can empathize with you on that front."

"You don't feel that way about Five?" Sloane asked.

"I don't know how I feel about Five anymore. He's a complicated man, and we have a twisted relationship. It's all so dizzying. To call it a marriage puts shame on matrimony," Anastasia answered. She shook her head again. "This isn't to scare you into not getting married. You should marry Luther."

"Really?" Sloane smiled softly, her eyes sparkling with hope.

"Of course. The world's ending, right? I won't stop you," she replied. Anastasia smiled again at the bride-to-be. "Do you want or need any help getting ready, my dear? I brought eyeshadow, lipstick, and nail polish. I can return to my room and get my curling iron."