five

chapter five:getting lost upstate── © websofopacity ──

chapter five:
getting lost upstate
── © websofopacity ──

Unbridled exhaustion soaked Five's frame as he got into Anastasia's car

Unbridled exhaustion soaked Five's frame as he got into Anastasia's car. His mind ran circles around the danger he was putting himself in to save the world and work with his ex-wife, a retired assassin and one of the best at that. He knew the only way to avoid getting shot between the eyes was to promise her the closure she might never get. Five couldn't bring himself to tell her what had happened behind those closed doors that she had accidently opened, innocently walking herself farther down the death trap that was the Commission.

After what felt like hours of discussion and arguing over going into Dallas during the day, Five finally managed to drag her along with him to meet with his new acquaintance, Elliott. He was a lunatic and an avid conspiracist. Five thought he and Diego would get along nicely and have a heyday over Anastasia's existence in the United States as an immortal Russian.

Five ran his fingers on a small yellow box, tracing the thick black indelible ink. He could feel Anastasia's glances like zaps of electricity. He kept his eyes fixed on the road ahead despite the sun glaring into his eyes and his success in persuading Anastasia. Five should have been gloating but he decided to drown in the silence instead.

"What is in the box?" she finally asked, motioning toward Five's hands with her elbow.

"I only know that it's some tapes. I couldn't tell you what's on them," Five replied. "Hazel must have slipped it into my pocket before he got shot."

"Jesus," Anastasia winced at the thought, though she wasn't sure why. The feeling of being shot wasn't a mystery to her. Anastasia slowed the car slightly and pointed at the narrow brick building. "Is it this one?"

"Yeah, the alleyway is almost always empty," Five responded quickly, indicating the space between the buildings.

Anastasia pulled into a back alley by a big gray building. Five blinked out of the car without warning when she parked and met her inside and up the stairs leading to Elliot's loft. He waited for Anastasia walking up the stairs, giving him an annoyed look. Five elbowed the green door with gold lettering on it.