two

chapter two:mr

chapter two:
mr. superior thinkin'
── © websofopacity ──

The fundraiser unfolded in the dimly lit speakeasy, a hidden gem tucked beneath the historic Alcott building

The fundraiser unfolded in the dimly lit speakeasy, a hidden gem tucked beneath the historic Alcott building. A hush fell over the crowd as the evening's festivities commenced. The venue buzzed with an air of mystery, evoking the spirit of the roaring '60s. Raymond Chestnut, a charismatic man with a mischievous grin, stood at the entrance, welcoming guests with a firm handshake and a twinkle in his eye. He was a good friend of the establishment's owner and the driving force behind this charity event.

Backstage, the performers were a spectacle unto themselves, each a vibrant burst of color. Their faces adorned with makeup reminiscent of Andy Warhol's iconic art, bold and avant-garde. Their hair teased and coaxed into gravity-defying '60s styles, reaching for the stars with audacious flair. Powder rooms littered with cosmetics and hairspray cans bore witness to the meticulous transformations taking place.

Amidst the whirlwind of preparation, Allison Chestnut, the elegant and vivacious wife of Raymond, navigated the backstage chaos, urgent to get into the wings before the fundrasier started. Her gown, a mesmerizing blend of electric blue and shimmering silver, flowed like liquid moonlight as she moved. The soft rustle of her gown seemed to echo through the bustling hallways. She had never felt more beautiful in her whole life.

The clinking of glassware and low hum of conversation drifted in from the main room, a reminder of the party unfolding just beyond the curtain. Unperturbed by the chaos around her, Allison cleared her throat with delicate determination, her voice cutting through the backstage commotion like a silver bell.

Climbing onto a barstool, she instinctively adjusted her gown, her fingers tracing the intricate beadwork that adorned it. The cool leather beneath her was a stark contrast to the frenzy of satin and silk backstage. She balanced herself with poise, a diamond in a room of rubies.

"Thank you all so much for coming. It's looking to be a great turnout so far. We have almost one hundred people coming, both black and white. Our community is very lucky to have you all doing this for us. If this night goes well, we will have the funding to set up more nights like these and safer protests," Allison declared, clapping her hands together excitedly. The performers  and crew cheered and whooped.