Chapter 14.

Frozen, all I do is stare with my mouth agape. For years I believed this woman was gone forever, for all I knew she could have been dead, yet now here she is standing right in front of me, I can't believe it!

As strong arms wrap their way around my frozen frame tears fall effortlessly from my eyes. She's so warm and the instant her arms meet my body I immediately relax into her grip, after years of thinking the worst I'm finally in my mother's arms.

"I can't believe it's you," she whispers as she releases my body keeping her hands on my shoulders. "When Cole told me he'd found you I couldn't believe it, but it's really you."

"It's me," I smile wiping away the stray tears falling down each cheek.

"I know this must be a shock to you and I will explain everything, the reason I left, who you are, what you are. I promise," she explains and I nod. "How about we go inside and talk?"

"I'd like that."

"Cole you take care of the others, make sure they behave," she instructs Cole and he nods turning to walk in the other direction," Brianna darling, follow me."

"It's Bree," I reply sheepishly as I begin to follow her in the direction of the little wooden houses.

"I'm sorry, I guess there's a lot I have to learn about you."

As I continue to follow my mother I notice we pass by all the smaller huts, rounding a corner just through the trees I see a much larger building, this one more structurally built with a sturdier looking frame, the outside is beautifully decorated with colourful flowers and shrubs, the wood somehow cleaner than the other houses. We approach the house which has a couple of cute little steps leading up to the door, she goes first opening the door as I follow closely behind.

"Please come in," she asks holding the door open for me.

Considering they live in the middle of nowhere I was surprised by the interior of the house, almost modern like, entering through the front door we step into the living area, there's a couch, a coffee table, even a bookcase. It strangely looks like a house from in the city, except when you walk outside there's trees and dirt instead of roads and shops.

"Would you like a drink? Tea, coffee, water?"

"Tea please," I reply politely and follow her into what I'm guessing is the kitchen.

This room is more of what I expected to find inside these little huts, apart from a table and chairs in the centre of the room and some cabinets around the walls there's not much else in here, a few pots and pans on the side, drinking glasses and mugs and some cutlery.

"Do you take sugar?"

"1 please," I reply taking a seat. "This place is lovely."

"It's not much but its home," mum turns with a smile

While I wait I watch mum boil some water in a pan over a small fire, it's amazing how they've adapted to live like this, I don't know how long I'll cope living like this for, I'm so used to the modern world, technology and electricity. When finished boiling the water she fills two mugs with water, stirs the contents then adds a little milk from a carton sitting on the side.

"Thank you," I say when she hands me my mug

For a couple of minutes we both sit in silence just looking back and forth between each other and our drinks, that's until she breaks the silence.

"So I know you probably have a lot of questions, I will answer all of them, I will be honest and you may not like some of the answers but won't hold anything back from you. All you should know is that everything I did I did to protect you."