(C. 6) From the Closet

Dazai found the days of his newfound job to be rather monotonous. At least at the clinic, there had been a constant stream of fascinating patients to deal with between the day to day tasks. Here, there was no such relief. Sure, Dazai went on missions, but there were one or two at most every week and since the first one he had been sent on, none had lasted longer than a day.

It was now very clear to him that his joining the Mafia had severed any strings that were keeping Mori at the clinic at all. Since the day he had been put on the mission concerning the old Mafia boss, they had not once returned there.

He had to admit, it was strange. Dazai had never loved the clinic per say, but he had been there a long time. It was practically the longest consecutive stretch of days he'd been anywhere before. And then there was Y/n, Y/n was a whole separate issue.

There was part of it that was like the clinic. For two years, he had seen her all day every single day and then, almost in an instant, he barley saw her at all. Even when Mori had first taken control of the Port Mafia, he still saw the pair every couple days, for hours on end.

It had been a week since Dazai had last visited her room. Of course he wanted to go back, wanted to know more, but he also wanted entertainment. Still unsure of how long Y/n would be able to capture his attention, he wanted to hold onto the interest as long as he could. Right now, that meant waiting, dragging things out.

He also didn't want her getting the idea that he saw Y/n as important. In the grand scheme of things, she wasn't. While she intrigued him now, even if she continued to intrigue him for a long time to come, he knew it would have to end sometime. He didn't want her getting the wrong idea or anything so he very strategically waited a week and a day before he next found himself before her door. He didn't want her thinking he had put her on his schedule, or anything.

Dazai held his ear to the door, listening for any sounds coming from within. After a minute, when he had still heard no noise, he quickly picked the lock and slid inside. Y/n was standing in front of her open closet, her hands struggling to undo the buttons on her dress' collar.

"Need some help?" he asked with a smirk, leaning against the now closed door.

Y/n let out a little yelp of surprise, spinning around to face him.

"What the fuck!" she exclaimed, a hand to her chest.

"Miss me?" he asked, his voice light as a feather.

"You scared me so bad! You have to warn me next time, I was changing!"

"Who says there will be a next time?"

"I'm starting to see your patterns." she hummed in response, having calmed her quickly beating heart.

"Are you now?"

"Lock the door, would you?"

Dazai obliged and when he turned back around, it was to find Y/n still standing by her closet. He walked over, peering in. While it looked like a wardrobe, wooden and old, from the front, he found it was just a facade. The real closet was deeper, a walk in practically.

"It's rude to look in a lady's closet." Y/n snapped and he turned his gaze back to her.

She was in a dark red dress with a high collar and tight fitting sleeves, one of the ones he knew she found uncomfortable. Her shoes we discarded on the floor a little ways away and her legs clad in black stockings.

"Apologies, I didn't know I was in the presence of a lady."

Y/n sighed and this time, she really did roll her eyes at him.

"Just ask your questions and get out of here, I'm tired."

"Does Mori have you train in that?" he asked without a moment's hesitation.