twenty four

The only light in the room was provided by the view over the fields through the large sliding doors in my apartment. It was as if time had slowed down, and the world had stopped. We could see nothing but each other. I ran my fingers playfully through Max's hair, which had grown longer since the beginning of summer. Its fluffy and soft texture felt like feathers through my fingers.

"I can't believe we wasted all this time, so many fucking years." I whispered to him quietly, it was strange how much time had passed but my feelings hadn't budged.

Max's eyes were locked on my face, carefully scanning every freckle and curve of my features as he let me play with his hair. Even though I wasn't even an arms length away I still didn't feel close enough.

"It's okay. We'll make up for it. We just needed to remember what it used to be like." He whispered back, reaching out for me and moving me closer to his chest, our faces only inches away from each other.

"Did... did you ever forget how it was?" My eyes flicked up to his but they only met for a quick minute before he allowed his to travel back down to my lips.

"No. I don't think I ever forgot." He smiled.
His hand traveled up along the bare skin of my back and into my hair as me kissed softly. I still felt like I was floating. Trying to hold onto this moment for as long as I could, before it was a memory. She bit his lip as he pulled away from the kiss, coaxing a light chuckle from him, Max lifted himself up on his elbow, leaning over me as I laid pressed against him, my back against the mattress as I stared up at him.

I reached out to stroke his face, letting my fingers travel along his jaw. Mesmerized by his presence. Feeling like I never wanted the sun to rise again. Just so we could stay right here, in this moment.

"I have to say. I really don't mind your place at all" he smiled, stroking my arm as I continued to trace the sharp lines of his face, "In fact, I think we should spend time here more often" He dove down for another kiss. He just couldn't seem to get enough.

"I'll have to take you up on that" I told him a smile gracing my face, "Max... I don't wanna go back to Amemile, not tomorrow." I blinked up at him, and oh he was a sucker for my eyes.

"Okay. We don't have to. We'll stay as long as you want" He wasn't even going to argue with me on that. He honestly wanted as much time alone with her as he could possibly get. She smiled widely at him.

"Good. Cause there are so many places I wanna take you." I wrapped her arms around him and pulled him closer, shifting his entire body onto mine

"And I want to see them" he promised, "Especially the gallery."

"I've been meaning to call them I just can't be bothered.." I admitted to him, his hands running down my arms comfortingly as I smiled to him.

"I'll call them" Max insisted, reaching to find his phone somewhere in the mess of the sheets and the pillows we had created.

I laughed and failed the number on his phone and handed it back to him, he sat up the duvet sliding down his body and revealing the cursive 'E' tattooed on his skin. I moved down to trace it with my finger when a woman's voice appeared on the other side of the phone

"Bryerman's gallery of photography, how may I help you?"

I jumped up eagerly staring at Max before he could even muster the words, "Good mornin this is Max calling regarding on an offer for the building for an art gallery.." He put on his best Louisiana accent and grimaced at me as he spoke in a confident tone. I shoved him lightly, making him choke back his laughter.

"I see, we only do submission approval by mail. Your client should be receiving information about their submission to the address that was given to us. How much did she offer?" I wanted to chew my nails off as I heard the woman on the phone type at the keyboard on the other end.