eight

A NEARLY FIRST KISS.

If Ariana had so much power running through her veins, if she had so much godly parentage in her family tree then why did she feel so useless?

When she woke up (in her cabin) Piper was by her side, staring into her dagger. Ariana sat up, her shifting caused Piper to notice she was awake.

"Hey, how are you feeling?" Asked Piper.

Ariana looked around. "What happened?"

Piper explained the situation. Ariana's heart sunk at every word she heard. She barely acknowledged anything except.

"Frank, Leo and Hazel. They're missing, we're trying to find them but-" Pipers voice cracked.

"Hazels gone?" She asked very slowly. "And Leo? With Frank?"

Piper nodded. "We'll find them..."

Ariana cursed, flinging her duvet off of her and standing up.

"Ariana." Piper panicked, standing up. "You really shouldn't get up just yet-"

Ignoring her, Ariana left her cabin with Piper following behind her.

Annabeth, Coach Hedge and Buford the table rushed around repairing things so that the ship wouldn't sink.

Percy, despite being exhausted, searched the ocean for their missing friends. Jason, also exhausted, flew around the rigging like a blond Peter Pan, putting out fires from the second green explosion that had lit up the sky just above the mainmast.

By the time the sun rose, none of them had slept. Percy had scoured the seafloor and found nothing.

The Argo II was no longer in danger of sinking, though without Leo they couldn't do full repairs.
The ship was capable of sailing, but no one suggested leaving the area - not without their missing friends.

Ariana, Piper and Annabeth sent an Irish message to Camp Half-Blood, warning Chiron of what had happened with the Romans at Fort Sumter.

Annabeth explained her exchange of words with Reyna. Piper relayed the vision from her knife about the SUVs racing north.

Ariana just glad to see Chiron after nine months. It seemed he was also glad to see Ariana, cracking a smile as soon as he saw her.

The kindly centaur's face seemed to age thirty years during the course of their conversation, but he assured them he would see to the defences of the camp.

Tyson, Mrs O'Leary and Ella had arrived safely. If necessary, Tyson could summon an army of Cyclopes to the camp's defence, and Ella and Rachel Dare were already comparing prophecies, trying to learn more about what the future held.

The job of the eight demigods aboard the Argo II, Chiron reminded them, was to finish the quest and come back safely.

After Annabeth and Piper relayed their messages and Chiron reassured them, the two girls left (per Chiron's request) leaving Ariana alone with the centaur.

"You gave us all a shock." He told her. "When Leo, Jason and Piper appeared back at camp without you."

"I had to be with Percy." Ariana told him.

The centaur was silent for a moment. "I know."

Neither of them spoke for a few moments before Chiron began speaking again. "Ariana, I want you to try not to think about the Great Prophecy too much."

Instantly, Ariana knew it what he was on about.

'The daughter of Hades must go, On a quest she must embark If she fails the journey that lies, Her days end in the dark.'