eight

RAINBOW GODDESSES

"Did you see that?" Hazel asked.

"Huh?" Ariana asked, coming back to reality.

They were going across the San Fransisco Embarcader. Suddenly, Ariana felt a wave of déjà vu flush over her.

Percy's face was red in the sunset. "Yeah. I've been here before. I ... I don't know. I think I was looking for my girlfriend."

"Annabeth." Frank said. "You mean, on your way to Camp Jupiter?"

Percy frowned. "No. Before that."

He scanned the city like he was still looking for Annabeth until they passed under the Golden Gate Bridge and turned north.

Ariana thought about her memories. She couldn't remember much yet now and again she would experience déjà vu.

She frowned, Ariana hated not being able to remember her old life - her friends, her family, were they serious about looking for her and Percy?

Nothing made sense to Ariana; she hated how much it was affecting her.

The boat shuddered, jolting Ariana back to the present. They entered the Pacific currents and skirted the rocky coastline of Marin County.
Frank held his ski bag across his lap.

Ariana walked towards the pair, away from Percy. Sitting down besides Hazel she couldn't help but notice how her face held a frown.

"You okay?' Ariana asked Hazel. "You look
queasy."

"Seasickness." she confessed. "I didn't think it would be this bad."

Frank pouted like it was somehow his fault. He started digging in his pack. "I've got some nectar. And some crackers. Um, my grandmother says ginger helps ... I don't have any of that, but-"

"It's okay." Hazel mustered a smile. "That's sweet of you, though."

Frank pulled out a saltine. It snapped in his big fingers. Cracker exploded everywhere.

Hazel laughed. "Gods, Frank ... Sorry.
I shouldn't laugh."

Ariana smiled at hearing Hazel laugh. Although she hadn't known her long, she felt protective over Hazel; she didn't want to see her upset or sad ever again.

She never questioned whether Hazel was truly her sister or not, not even for a moment. There was no need.

"Uh, no problem." he said sheepishly. "Guess you don't want that one."

Percy wasn't paying much attention. He kept his eyes fixed on the shoreline. As they passed Stinson Beach, he pointed inland, where a single mountain rose above the green hills.

"That looks familiar." he said.

"Mount Tam." Frank said. "Kids at camp are always talking about it. Big battle happened on the summit, at the old Titan base."

Ariana frowned. "Were either of you there?"

"No." Hazel said. "That was back in July, before I - um, before I got to camp. Jason told me about it. The legion destroyed the enemy's palace and about a million monsters. Jason had to battle Krios - hand-to-hand combat with a Titan, if you can imagine."

"I can imagine." Percy muttered.

The silence came over them again and eventually Hazel fell asleep.

"I'm going to check up on Percy." Ariana whispered to Frank, he nodded though he wasn't paying much attention to her as he watched Hazel.