Chapter 13: Canis

Chapter thirteen:

[]CANIS ALATUS:[]

Once I got the standard issue and utterly repulsive plain black leash and harness onto my Spirit Dog, Chance, I started to lead the way to the large building full of Spirit-Dog sized kennels.

My eyes, against my steadily shredding will, lingered on the tall and muscled Husky behind me, who's gaze was blatantly locked with... I followed her stare. Her gaze was locked on Kori.

I knew that there was no way a such a Dog, let alone that stunning, eye-catching, and reeking with power Husky, would have chosen me, but somehow, it still hurt.

I chided myself, be happy with what you have. At least I got picked. I know there had to be a few who didn't even get chosen. Those few would get sent off-planet, because; 'it is an incredible honor to attend Lucerix for any amount of time'.

I, regrettably, heard a loud, resonating click, coming from behind me. I didn't even bother to look backwards, tears of shame -from liking the Husky more than this old Shepherd- started to pile up in my already silver-rimmed eyes, clouding my vision and threatening to spill down my cheeks.

'Ira. What's wrong?' He paused, as if sensing my emotions through the bond- or maybe I was just that easy to read. As if it was because my -helmeted- face and obvious body laungage reeked of envoisness. 'I understand you would like to have a sleek, young dog like Hunter, but I simply ask, give me a chance.'

Hah, what cruel humour. Give 'Chance' a chance. As much as I wanted to give all my love to him, I still felt the pang of jealousy. I abruptly stopped walking, pivoting and shoving my helmet-covered face into Chance's warm fur. Even through the helmet, I could smell Chances' warm, apple pie scent. Regrettably, he also smelled unmistakably like a dog.

It reminded me of my mother's cooking, back at home.

Home.

Home.

I hadn't been homesick, let alone evn let myself think about my old planet in a long time, as my 'family' was here at Lucerix now.

"I'm sorry, Chance." I said, finally caving and forcing myself to smile at Chance, eyes still full of tears.

'Thank you, Ira. now we should probably get to the kennels.' he said, breathing onto my helmet covered head and using his grey face to push me away.

Once we stepped inside the huge, double doors, I took my helmet off, shaking out my short hair. Remembering what the Principal had said, I went to the large Kennel that had the same number as my locker and entered the passcode. With a small 'beep' the large, sleek, metal door slid open. "Welcome home, Chance," I said, tone kind and with almost no sadness leftover from the sight Husky.

'Wow, they have really upsized the kennels since the last round.' Chance murmured, dark brown eyes transfixed on the newly-remodeled kennels.

Curiosity filled me to the brim, his remark having piqued my interest. "By the way, Chance, how old are you?"

'It doesn't concern you, I'll just tell you that I've been around far longer than you have.'

"Please?" I whined.

He gave in, probably too tired to argue from the painstakingly long journey here. 'Well, years kind of blend together... but I'm around 140.' He saids nonchalantly.

"Woah," I breathed, stunned. "I'll be back for training tomorrow, OK?" I pat Chance.

'Okay, Ira'. Chance said, those dark brown eyes averting from mine, finding a place on the floor to stare at, his entire face seeming to fall. I hope he doesn't think I'm leaving him forever.

With his age and intelligence, I doubt he would. But that didn't stop the sadness, bordering on agony, that filled his voice from seeping into the bond and consequently into my soul. "I'll be back" I repeated, looking back from where I stood at the door.

'I know." His piercing gaze damn near shattered me.

I turned my back on Chance, hesitating before sliding open the metal door and stepping away from him without a glance back towards him.

I'll be back. I reminded myself, repeating it until I believed it.

I'll be back.

-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\

Happy Halloween everyone! 

Thanks a lot for reading!

Word Count: 701 words

(UPDATED X)