4. The Unwanted Wife

[ELARA]

I find out soon enough the kind of man my husband is. He's truly a wicked, two-faced bastard!

Few hours ago at the break of dawn, we started our journey back to Caelondor. I was made to sit inside a carriage covered with feather-filled pillows—the royal treatment, truly. But I'm not allowed to talk to my handmaids. Or anyone, really. In fact, ever since we left Mistral Hollow, Magnus had not even spared me a glance. It's like for him I don't even exist. 

He was charming during the wedding, kissing my hand like I expected a prince would. But it was all a facade. I should've known it, but as always I was a fool. 

I feel lonely already, away from my homeland—the place I grew up in. I've never been away from Mistral Hollow or my pack for more than a few days and now I'm going to spend my life in a foreign land. With the constant pain of having my mate by my side. 

Alec has kept his distance from me. I don't know how he does it, because here I'm going crazy. I keep thinking of all the moments we have spent together—some that I can never tell anyone about. The moments I have to forget now for the sake of my new life with my husband. 

Lila has been silent as well, giving me no guidance, nor commenting on anything. Maybe I'm thinking too much. Or perhaps my life has actually taken a miserable turn. 

I feel the carriage halt once again, and I quickly slide the drapes to peer out. Alec is by my side as I had thought but he doesn't look at me. He's looking straight ahead.

Only a moment later, I realize why we stopped. Dusk has fallen and we're at the perfect stop to rest for the night. We're at Fierra river bank and the cold night is filled with a musky scent. 

I step out without a warning, feeling my legs ache at the lack of movement. I'm still wearing the gown although I've taken off the ornaments. I glance at my husband who's on a horse right in front of me but he manages to ignore me yet again. He gestures to a man of his personal guard and he scurries off. I see a group of men, pulling out canvases to set up tents for the night, while a group of women begin working towards filling our stomachs.

I hate him already. I know there's no point waiting there, knowing well enough that no one here is interested—or rather is commanded to not talk to me. Seething, I stride closer to the river. There's a small wooden platform built for small boats to be docked. I decide to sit there. Just to piss off my husband—if he even cares. 

He doesn't.

But I hear footsteps behind me.

"Where are you going, my lady?" A handmaid named Kayla asks as I walk away from the party. Disappointment swirls within me. Magnus is oblivious to my presence, now engaged in a lively conversation with one of the ministers. The air is filled with the murmur of ministers, and the dancers and the hundred others that accompanied us —likely judging my behavior, but I don't care. I'm tired and frustrated. 

"Leave me alone," I tell her, briefly turning back and she vanishes, bowing deeply. 

Sighing deeply, I bend down to look into the shimmering water. The stars in the sky are reflected beautifully into the surface. For a moment, I feel good and relaxed. But then all of a sudden, I see the water begin to bubble up. A flash of green strikes my gaze, before it expands beneath the surface. Before I can react, a hand juts out from the water and snatches my ankle, pulling me inside. 

I fall onto my back, screaming helplessly as the grip begins tightening. I struggle to find anything to hold onto until my eyes fall upon a wooden stump. The force pulls at me just as I grab the stump but it's too strong.