12. No More Heirs

[MAGNUS]

Morgana's words still grasp much of my attention as I make my way through the hallways of the palace to get to the council room.

Curing a rogue is an impossible concept — something never thought of before. Something that hasn't been done successfully before. Several mages have tried, going any lengths — as far as to sacrifice a hundred druids, only to watch helplessly as the rogue werewolf perished in front of their eyes.

But if Morgana believes she can do it using some magical herbs, an artifact and a spell, I'm not going to stop her. There's nothing for me to lose here.

The only pain that can come from this is not finding Morgana earlier. Precisely three years ago, a time when I would've given up my own life just so I could cure a rogue.

But there's also the causal condition. A hydralith bite inducing rogueness can be cured if done before the werewolf has completely lost control of their consciousness. At least that's what the scarlet-eyed witch tells me. And I can do nothing but wait.

Wait for her to succeed. Or fail.

Alec becoming himself again is in no way going to make my life easier. But the thrill of defeating him by my own means rather than by a fucking hydralith bite will be a lot more satisfying.

Alistair joins me somewhere along the way, and I only notice him when he holds the door open for me to enter the council chamber. I give him a curt nod, silently acknowledging him and his presence. But I don't fail to notice the gash on his neck — a haunting reminder of what I owe him.

The table is filled, except for one regal chair at the very center which belongs to the king. Uncle Eldric sits there but he doesn't even deserve the dirt beneath it.

The chatter ceases, leaving the room in utter silence momentarily. My eyes habitually dart to the painted ceiling — elaborate illustrations of wars and kings long gone, a part of it still blank for the events of the future to be painted on. Eldric wants to get himself there. But for that he needs to do something heroic first. And him and heroic don't belong in a sentence together.

"How was the wedding night, Prince?" Lord Maykel asks, deliberately stretching his voice in a playful manner. Does he mean to tease me? What a fucking idiot.

I ignore him, pulling up the sleeves of my robe before settling on a chair. Half of the ministers are quiet, a grim look on their face. While the other half clearly want to ask about the details of my wedding night.

"Congratulations on the wedding, Prince Magnus," Lord Jaromir, a toothless fellow mumbles, his eyes cloudier than when I had last seen him.

I see Lord Cedric pinch his beard, disgust lined on his face. He warned me at the wedding that my uncle wouldn't like the stunt I pulled but seeing as it has been a day since my return and no one has asked me about it, I think he has done well to keep that news from spreading.

"Do tell us about the wedding night, prince," Lord Maykel says again, running his hand once over his bald head. I've never liked his voice — always whiny and careless but he has proved himself worthy more than a couple times so I keep him on my side.

Lord Cedric hisses in warning, his eyes throwing daggers at the bald lord, "Be respectful, Lord Maykel. You need to be now more than ever."

I finally suck in a breath before replying, "The wedding night was great. It just wasn't spent with the woman I married."

"It's true then," Maykel mutters, leaning forward with curiosity. "You're enamored by the red-eyed woman."

I brush him off, saying, "I find my new wife repulsive."

"We can't agree, Prince. Not unless we've seen her." It's Cedric who comments, which surprises me because he's usually the one to scheme silently and only speak into my uncle's ears.

"Well, it's not like I'm hiding her somewhere. She's roaming about the palace. But I will say that she's no beauty to actually show off to the court on a special occasion. And the goddess knows I don't have the sort of time to make introductions," I make myself say but somewhere deep inside, I know that Elara isn't repulsive or ugly. I just have to say these things. If I show any sense of connection, it won't end well for her. "You can meet her in the court tomorrow morning, lords."

I look around the table, taking in the familiar faces, questioning once again which of them is going to turn out to be a double-faced bastard. But that thought can settle for now. "Now if we can start with the actual council session, that'd be great because I can't wait to see the red-eyed woman again," I mumble, winking.

Lord Maykel shakes his head, grinning like a fool.

Lord Cedric begins, his voice serious as he straightens himself on his chair, "You've probably noticed that the queen is missing from the session. She misses these on purpose, we all know it. But today, I decided not to convince her to come because we've received some disturbing news."

For a moment, a spark of joy ignites in my chest. I know Eldric is not dead or there would be no session here instead the palace bells would be ringing, informing the masses of the sovereign's death. But something has definitely gone wrong.

I lean forward, but I have to bite my lip to keep myself from smiling as Cedric continues.

"The Crowned Prince, Kian, has been gravely injured in battle," the minister chokes out. His hands begin to tremble and he quickly tucks them under his sleeves but there's nothing he can do about his voice. "The King is a few camps away but he's going to reach his son soon. But the medics say he's not going to survive."

There's a hush that blankets the council chamber. No one speaks a word as we slowly absorb what has been just revealed. I see people putting their heads down, foreheads furrowing and pitiful sounds eliciting from their mouths eventually. Even Maykel who's always smirking like a fool has a grim expression on his face.

"The queen ought to be informed, of course. The matter is who's going to do it. It has to be Prince Magnus, I believe. And it has to be done soon," Cedric declares, finally releasing a heavy sigh.

Kian has never been a saint to me, but he was never cruel to me either. In fact, I bet he tried to tell Eldric more than a few times to treat me fairly. But he is the king's only legitimate son. He's the crowned prince. And the queen mother is too old to bear any new children.

If Kian dies, it means Eldric has no living heirs. Which means he has no chance but to announce me as his heir, seeing as I'm next in line for the throne.

I can only wonder what lengths he'll go to keep that from happening.