say my name and everything just stops

A requested prequel to the two parter, you and me, there's nothing like this.

This chapter is mature.

"The wait is the worst part. And I think it's because I get to see you in two days...naturally, it's turning into the longest two days of my life."

You could argue I'm being kind of dramatic and you'd probably be right, but missing her is real, especially given that seeing her on the screen across the miles is a tease. She's right there, right in front of me, only I can't feel the softness of her skin, can't breathe in her scent.

She's in bed, per our little ritual. It's roughly after ten here and after midnight there, so I knew she has to be exhausted after a full day of rehearsal. I'd told her since I wouldn't be back home until later, she didn't have to stay up.

I still feel slightly guilty that she's dropping everything to make sure I get adequate sleep. I used to have the ability to fall asleep literally anywhere, to the point it became sort of a running joke with the guys on the team. I only seem to be able to get eight hours now if Tay is next to me or we fall asleep together over FaceTime.

She'd insisted on sticking to the routine, despite the late hour there, so here we are, hanging out. I always look forward to seeing her, no matter the circumstances, and even though it's a little selfish, maybe, on my part, I definitely look forward to spending the very last part of our respective days together.

Her hair is pulled into an unruly ponytail and she's wearing her favorite pajama set, pink with little white cats, the ones she insists are the most comfortable she owns, despite being  almost five years old by now. Her face is freshly scrubbed and she sips at a cup of tea in a teal mug, placing it down on the night stand next to her.

"How was it today?"

She grins tiredly. "Kicked my ass. That was to be expected, though. It's been months."

"That just means the show will be incredible. You'll push that much harder. Go the distance."

"Are you trying to use football analogies on me now?"

"What if I am?"

Her eyes dance, her mouth curls up at the corner and I'm hit with a sudden intense wave of just how damn much I miss her.

She looks extra gorgeous tonight, too. Her cheeks are slightly flushed, the strands of hair escaping her ponytail framing her face.

The ache in my chest is real and I swallow tightly. "I miss you, Tay."

The thing about Taylor is that she never belittles anyone's feelings. I know she isn't going to tell me that it's only another sleep after this one so I don't need to miss her at all; that's not her way.

"Imagine I'm right next to you. You're holding me."

Her voice is soft and slightly drowsy and I smile, pulling the covers up to my chin. "Yeah?"

Taylor nods. "I'm curled into your side. Your arm is around my waist, your hand is on my hip. You know...the part where it just starts to curve."

"The sweet spot," I acknowledge. My fingers can almost feel her body underneath them. I can imagine finding the part where her shirt has ridden up and exposed cool, creamy skin.

"The sweet spot."

She sounds a little less sleepy and she pulls herself into a semi sitting position, balancing on an elbow.

"My hair's fanned out across your chest, Trav. Your fingers are all tangled up in it. You love when it's curly like this."

"I do. It's beautiful."