THIRTEEN

IT's URGENT
and a little unbelievable

Through the next few days, James grew increasingly frustrated

Through the next few days, James grew increasingly frustrated. Every time he had tried to speak with May, she had gotten up and almost ran before the words could even come out.

When she was in the lobby, and caught a glimpse of him, she dashed for the elevators before he could open his mouth. And when she was at the park, and he tried to approach her, she pretended to take a phone call. All this—- just to avoid him.

And May, she couldn't fathom how James could possibly be upset. He had ignored her after all. So why was he moments away from a tantrum every time she refused to acknowledge him?

She would have liked to ask him—- stomp right up with him and demand an explanation. But she knew she wasn't owed that. And you're not really supposed to speak with the very person you are trying to move on from.

She was content with ignoring him. All until he had trapped her in the elevator.

Literally.

When the elevator stopped on the second floor, and the doors opened to reveal James, May had tried desperately to smack the 'close door' button. But it was all for naught. James had squeezed on anyway.

And he didn't stop there— he shut the doors and pulled the emergency stop. The loud ringing of the alarm made May clutch her ears, but James turned desperate.

Unable to open the door, and unable to avoid him any longer, James shouted over the blaring alarm, "why are you avoiding me?!"

"What?!" May shouted back.

"Since I got back! You have been avoiding me!"

"Yeah!"

"Why?!"

May wanted to laugh at him. Not only did they have to shout this conversation, but he couldn't be so clueless. Could he? "You ignored my texts and calls for six weeks!"

"What?!" James stated, almost as if he was surprised by this. "No! You ignored mine!"

"What?!" May shouted back.

"I tried to call you! Every day! You texted Carlos, and Logan, and Kendall! Never me!"

"What are you talking about?! I texted you all the time!" May disagreed.

Pulling out his phone, James scrolled through it for a moment, only settling on their open text conversation. And to May, he revealed dozens of unopened texts.

hey May, just got to Nevada! Miss you!

Saw a guy juggling fire! You gotta see this!

hey.. everything okay?

call me?

May?? Im worried. please answer

are you mad at me??

May??

Did i do something wrong?

May...

Taken back by this, May reached for her own phone. She had opened it to show the same. Messages unread by James.

heyyy james:) Palm Woods is already so quiet without you here

miss you :(

hope tour's going well! i know your busy...

are you okay?

james :(

are you ignoring me???

james?

oh okay... i'll leave you be...

have fun :(

How was this possible? The two had always texted, and never received.

"So you did text me!" James is fairly baffled by this point, at a loss. "I never got anything!"

"Me neither!"

"So you're not mad?!"

"No!"

"Well when you shout at me it sounds like your mad!"

"You pulled the alarm, dingus! Of course I have to shout!" May rolled her eyes.

James wants to laugh. Was this really all a misunderstanding? Was he really in an emergency stopped elevator shouting at his muse and somehow solving all their problems? It didn't feel real. "I missed you!" He admits. "A lot!"

"I missed you too!" She shouts back, just as humored.

And as it turns out—- nothing had changed. Not at all, even. The two had echoed each other. All their thoughts and their worries. They were the same.

Even as they hug, embracing for the first time in weeks— weeks they spent thinking this would never be the case again for them— all was forgotten. All was fixed.

And not even the obnoxious alarm could not deter the happy feeling.

It was May and James. Whole again.