NINE.3

NOT GOOD AT GOODBYES
but maybe see you laters

The ride down the elevator to the lobby was the most heart wrenching thing May had ever experienced— because she knew

The ride down the elevator to the lobby was the most heart wrenching thing May had ever experienced— because she knew. She knew if she saw James there that it all would become real.

And it did— "James," May said sadly, a look in her eye that carried hopefulness, doubt, and fear all at the same time

"May," he said back, and he whispered her name like he couldn't believe it was her in front of him.

"Please tell me you're not leaving," May pleads, feeling the prickling tears approach her saddened eyes. "Please, please."

"No, I mean yes, I mean—" James felt his internal battle, he didn't want it to be true, it couldn't be true.

May threw herself into his embrace, holding his torso so tightly, as if she was scared he would disappear. And he would, in a short amount of time.

She wasn't sure why it was tearing her up so much, little slits ripping her insides, unable to cauterize the wound. They had only known each other for a few short months, it shouldn't have hurt this bad. But it did.

"I'm sorry, I'm so sorry," he mumbled into her hair.

"It's not your fault," May pulled away. "I should be the one saying sorry. This is so unfair to you."

"No," he corrected, shaking his head. "I'm sorry this is how it's ending."

Tilting her head, May asked— "what do you mean?"

"May," he looked at her so deeply, as if her eyes revealed every corner of her soul. "You are the most amazing person I have ever met. You are talented, and smart, and funny, and beautiful, and I wish I said all this before it was too late-"

"I don't understand—"

"May, I like you... a lot. More than I have ever liked anyone. And the feeling is scary but exciting at the same time— and I can't believe I'm leaving before we even had a chance."

"James," she broke. "I-I don't know what to say, I don't—"

"It's okay... if you don't feel the same way," James tried to muster a smile to ease her worry.

"No, I just," May felt flustered by this whole encounter. "This is so cruel."

When she threw her head in her hands, she felt like someone had grabbed her heart. May felt like her chest was concaving. "I refuse to believe it," she said just above a whisper. "I refuse to believe the universe is this cruel. No, it's all gonna be okay. It's all gonna work out— it has to. James, it's not supposed to end like this. It's not goodbye."

"No, not goodbye," he confirms. "It's see you later."

"See you later," she nods, and he grabs his suitcase sadly.