FOUR

A DANCE
and an unexpected date

"Hey why is everyone bummed out about the end of the school year party?" May whispered to Camille, a girl who sat next to her in class

Camille groaned, "we get cupcakes, punch, and entertainment—"

"Doesn't sound so bad—"

"By Bitters."

"I'm seeing the issue," May nodded, frowning slightly. "Well, my school always had a dance at the end of the year—"

"That's it! A dance!" James cut in, eaves dropping on their conversation.

"With slow dances!" Logan added.

"And dates to slow dance with!" Carlos finished, making the class chorus in their agreement.

"Well, we've never had a school dance before, because we're really just one small classroom, but if a certain band wants to be the new school dance committee, sounds great," Miss Collins said, making everyone cheer again— before adding, "So you need to find a theme, snacks, decorations, chaperones, and we have no money, no place to have it, and since today's the last day of school, we need to have it tonight."

May's smile dropped instantly, sending an unsure look to Camille who shared her sentiments. Dropping her pencil off the desk— "we can totally do this... right?" Kendall asked Jo.

"Right..."

"Okay, then move out!"

The boys ran out of the classroom, swiftly leaving behind papers and climbing over desks to plan whatever schemes they had yet to come up with. Slowly packing up her belongings, Jo walked over to Camille and May. "So, a dance," she smiled.

"I love dances!" May beamed. "My last dance at Pleasant Valley High School was City Lights, and had a waffle maker and mock-tails! Some kid even fell in the fountain outside... that was less fun."

The girls too left the classroom, making their way to the lobby. "Yeah! A dance is great," Camille nodded. "And it's our chance for someone special to ask— like Kendall, here he comes now."

Jo perked up, anticipating the oncoming question.

"Jo," Kendall clapped. "I need to ask you something." This made Jo nod, willing him to continue. "Could you go to the convenience store and get them to donate some snackage for the dance?"

"Oh, sure, Kendall," she said a little disappointed. "Is that the only thing you wanted to ask me?"

"Oh, no, um... Could get some sodies too?"

"Sure."

Jo got up and walked off, leaving Camille and May to send worried looks toward each other. As the boys headed across the lobby— May sighed. "Guys can be so dumb."

"Tell me about it."

After dropping off her school stuff in the apartment, picking out a dress for later, and carefully fixing her manicured nails, May found herself back in the park.

The wind rustled the trees, and the girl drew her gaze to a couple playing frisbee on the grass. Sitting at one of the wooden tables, playing the cap of her lipgloss, and caught completely off guard— Carlos plopped in the seat next to hers, sporting binoculars.

"Hi May," he says, intently staring out of the little lenses.

"Carlos, looking for something?"

"Yes, a date to the dance."

"Oh," May laughed. "So your approach is to stare at her through binoculars?"

"Well... the Jennifer's said no, so it's time for plan b. And I already called dibs on every girl currently in the Palm Woods park."

"Interesting," May giggled again.

"So, who are you going with?" He asked, still people watching.

"It seems I'm going stag," she shrugged, not very bothered by the prospect. "No one's asked me."

"What!" Carlos exclaimed, dropping his binoculars in shock. "What do you mean no one's asked you? You're cute, sweet, beautiful May!"

Shaking off his comment with a grin, she pushed the hair away from her face. "Maybe cause I'm new," she tilted her head. "It's okay though, I don't mind."

"No!" He disagreed instantly. "I can't let you go to the dance alone. Which is why..." standing up abruptly and ripping some flowers from the ground near by, Carlos turns around with a cheesy grin. "May, will you be my date to the dance?"

"Sure," May smiled, excepting the flowers, root and dirt and all. "I would love to be your plan b."

"Turns out the B in Plan B stands for besties," Carlos claps, "pick you up at 7," jumping happily before running off, leaving May with the brightest smile that made her cheeks hurt.

Maybe this dance will top her last one.

Spending some more time in the park, helping the Jennifer's find dates, and playing whiffle-ball with a kid Tyler and some other students in her class— May got ready to head back to her room to prepare for the dance.

While leaving the park, she ran (literally) into James and Logan— "Hey guys!" She greeted, holding the flowers a little tighter.

"May," Logan nods, but James only stared at her hands.

"What are those?" He shoots accusingly, pointing at what she was holding.

"Flowers?" She said confused.

"From who?"

"Oh! Carlos," she smiled. "We're going to the dance together."

"What!"

The two disappeared at once, Logan pushing James away, mumbling something about bro-code, and something else about dibs, before May skipped back to the lobby of the Palm Woods, shrugging it off.

The only thing May had on her mind was her champagne colored silk dress, strappy high heels and hair rollers.