FOUR .2

A DANCE
and an unexpected date

"You hijacked my girl!" James shouted at Carlos, barreling into their apartment

Carlos was adjusting the helmet on his head, and smoothing out the wrinkles on his dress shirt when James had caught him smiling in the mirror. "Your girl?" Carlos asked, confused.

"You asked May to the dance!"

"Ohhh, May!" Carlos smiled again. "She told me she was going alone, and I couldn't let that happen—"

"Well you could have told me!" James intercepted. "Dude you knew I liked her! You broke bro-code," he pointed an accusatory finger in the direction of his best friend.

"Technically I did call dibs on all the girls currently in Palm Woods park, and since May was there..." he drifted off. "And you can't violate the rules of dibs!"

"But bro-code!"

"Dibs!"

"Bro-code!"

"Dibs!" Carlos and James went back and forth like this for what seemed like eternity, only stopping as a ringtone blared out. Picking up his phone, Carlos sent a teasing smile. "Heyyyy May."

"Yes, I will certainly be there soon," he continued, dragging out his words just to make James fume even more— smoke might've been steaming from his ears. "I can't wait either! See you in a few."

"Dude!" James shouted again once he hung up the phone.

"If you excuse me, I have a beautiful date that is ready to be picked up," Carlos smirked, running out of the apartment as James went to lunge at him— face still red with frustration.

Watching them walk into the dance together still stung just as badly as it did when May was holding those flowers in the park. They exited a black car, the girl holding onto Carlos' arm with a bright smile, laughing about something that couldn't possibly be that funny. All while, James was stuck in a stupid horse costume and couldn't even approach her if he wanted to.

Logan got his date with Camille, Kendall and Jo were dancing, Carlos took the most beautiful girl at the Palm Woods— and James couldn't believe that he was the one without a date.

Bitterly, he couldn't stop staring as Carlos twirled May around, making her giggle and then twirl him around too. The jumped around the dance floor, almost tripping, and even after they performed their song (per Gustavo's request) May showered him in praise after— it was turning into James' own personal nightmare.

And when a slow dance song came on, he basically wanted to shrivel up into a ball and die.

May looked to Carlos as Hey There Delilah flew from the speakers, everyone growing quiet in hesitation, before grabbing their dates and swaying to the music. Laughing, May said, "slow dances are always so awkward," while holding onto Carlos' arms unsure.

"Yeah," he agreed. "I don't know if holding each others arms and moving side to side is really dancing."

"It's definitely not."

"Are you thinking what I'm thinking?" May asked.

"Fast dance to a slow song?" Carlos replied.

"Yep!"

And to the surprise of everyone around them, the two went wild, throwing out dance moves that were definitely not appropriate for the music that was playing. But, they didn't seem to have a care in the world. They laughed loudly, and spun around like no one was watching— it certainly was one of best dances May had ever been to.

As the song died down, May wiped the tears from her eyes. "Thank you, Carlos," she couldn't dim her bright smile. "For asking me, and everything. I'm having a lot of fun."

"Me too," Carlos agreed, smiling back.

They kept smiling at each other for a moment to long, the tension growing eerily still before Carlos coughed, "yeah that got awkward."

"Yeah," May laughed too.

Sharing their giggles at the awkward moment, Carlos flickered his gaze— James sat alone on the stage, begrudgingly sipping from a cup as he stared daggers at happy couples. "I think you should talk to James," Carlos said suddenly.

"Hmm?" May hummed. "Why? What's wrong?"

"He was planning on asking you tonight," Carlos said— "and as much as I'm glad you came with me, I might have violated bro-code."

"Oh," May smiled. "I'll go talk to him," she continued—- "you know, you're a really good friend, Carlos."

Taking that straight to his ego, he straightened his posture. "I am, aren't I?"

Laughing, May sauntered off, sitting herself on the stage beside James, that was staring so harshly at his shoes he hadn't even noticed her presence. "Whoever made heels must hate women," May chimed rubbing her sore ankle.

Snapping his head to the side, James looked in shock to the girl beside him. "May!" He let out too excitedly and then coughed— "oh, I mean... shouldn't you be with Carlos."

May noticed how his tone turned dejected and gave a crooked look. "I think he's okay," she pointed to the boy who was attempting to show the Jennifers how many corn dogs he could balance at one time. "And anyway, you were looking all bummed out... at a dance... where you should be having fun."

"Yeah," he trailed off. "Hard to have fun when the girl of your dreams came here with someone else."

May blushed at this— certain that James had no idea what Carlos told her just moments ago. The crimson pattern danced across her cheeks, and she put her palms to her face to feel the warmth. "Girl of your dreams huh?" She questioned. "Why didn't you ask her?"

"I was so busy helping Logan ask Camille," he groaned. "That someone else got to ask before I had the chance."

"You helped Logan ask Camille?" May was in awe. When he nodded, her gaze softened a bit. "That was really nice of you, James."

"Well," his confidence returned surely, leaning back on his hand. "That's me," he pointed to himself all cockily.

"Right," May smiled, nodding. "Well, is this girl of your dreams still here?"

Looking into her eyes, his smirk fading just a little, he gave an almost unnoticeable nod— "yeah, still right here."

"Then you can always ask her to dance."

"You're right," James felt his palms sweat at this, an unknown feeling twisted in his gut like he was going to be sick— except he wasn't.

"Will you have this dance with me?"

"It would be an honor."