ONE

First Days
and a strange encounter

It was the fall of 2009, when May finally got signed to LA Sweep's modeling agency, and it didn't occur to her that her career might take off.

That was before new friends, before new enemies, when her only dream was to front the page of Vogue magazine, and she thought she'd never find a guy as great as her dad.

That was the fall they moved to the Palm Woods.

☼ ☼ ☼

May found a home in the park, as her father unpacked their things back at the new apartment. She had been sitting underneath a tree, while a boy with a guitar strummed a few cords, surrounded by some supposed friends.

The grass needles imprinted into her legs as she pressed down into the green of the hill, and sometimes a soft buzzing could be heard from a bug or two that had flown by.

It wasn't until she was nose deep in her fashion magazine, studying other successful model's poses, that her attention was torn away by three other girls who stood in front of her slumped figure. As her finger skimmed the printed ink of the page, and held her spot delicately, she averted her eyes to the very people who had intruded on the warm sun that beamed against her skin.

Their arms were crossed, and they looked threatening with the way they stared down at her. But May knew better than that; she knew not to judge them just based off of their mere appearance. Doing odd modeling jobs most of her life, she knew how intimidating the kindest girls came off, and hoped that this was just the same.

"Um... hi?" She squeaked out, shrinking under their careful stare.

The middle, blonde girl, glanced to both her friends before sending May a beaming smile. One that directly contrasted with the upturned scowl she once held.

"Oh-Em-Gee," the curly-haired girl gushed. "Are you new here?"

"Oh, yeah— I'm new," May's words almost betrayed her, but gained her composure quickly as the three's expressions continued to soften.

The blonde-haired girl stepped forward, "you're like pretty," she complimented, the other two nodding in agreement. "Like super pretty. Are you an actress or something?"

"Model," May corrected carefully, willing herself to her feet. The three girls continued to size her up, then smiled to each other like they approved or something.

The blonde girl gave a curt nod, holding her hand out for May to shake. "I can totally see that," the two girls shook hands. "I'm Jennifer, and that's Jennifer and Jennifer. We're the Jennifer's, and you're cool with us."