NINE

A CONCERT
maybe not a concert

Jo called May to tell her that the boys were back from their concert training, and her and Camille were going to get them water by the pool

Running down to join them, the girls handed them opened bottles— "Are you guys gonna make it the next two weeks to your concert? "

May only winced slightly when they winced and grunted in response. They certainly didn't look the best.

But Logan pepped up. "Yep. And it's gonna rock! And you and all the palmwoods. Are invited to our dress rehearsal."

When he threw some lanyards at May, she looked at them in awe. "No way!" She exclaimed. "I've never been VIP before!"

"Someday we'll be able to say we knew them when," Jo awed making May laugh.

"Hey, someday is today," James stood up. "I have dreamed about this for so long. And it's finally gonna happen!"

James intended to continue, until a voice squealed— "I love you!" Before jumping onto his back and pulling him away.

May winced, but even worse, she felt a pit in her stomach. Something unfamiliar to her. Nothing happened, just some crazy girl jumping on her friend James' back— so why did she want to pull that girl off and punch her in the—-

"Don't worry about that. It's part of our training," Carlos shrugged.

And everything settled. The feeling disappeared, and left May as confused as ever.

What did it mean when you wanted to share every part of yourself with someone, but were also scared of what they might say? What did it mean when you wanted to spend time with someone, but got nervous every time you see them? What did it mean when you wanted to hear someone's kind words, but flushed at every little line?

May couldn't figure that out.

Eventually James had shook that mosh pit crew girl from his shoulders— and as the rest of the boys went to do their own thing, James invited May back to their crib, where May was currently helping to nurse him back to health.

"Ow, ow, ow," James complained as May changed a bandage on his arm.

"James!" She interrupted. "It's just the bandaid adhesive."

"I know! It hurts!"

Rolling her eyes, May placed another bandaid on his arm, replacing the old one. "I thought you played hockey? And this little bitty bandaid hurts?"

"Hey! They're unreasonably painful!"

"Or you're unreasonably wimpy!"

"I am not a wimp!"

"Oh yeah?" May challenged.

They playfully glared at each other before bursting into laughter, just enjoying the company of one another. "Hey, I never asked. How did that test shoot go?"