The Invention of Healing Punches

(Y/N)'s POV

Getting to the Argo II was the easy part. Dodging spears and swords with Annabeth by his side felt as if it were old times, in fact (Y/N) found it almost relaxing compared to his true burden. The weight on his shoulders.

Reyna's words had left him in a state of shock, his mind racing, he felt almost as if he shouldn't have been allowed to see the conversation between her and Annabeth. Because now he had, it was all he could think about.

Even as they escaped, even as the boat sailed away from the Romans and the storm pushed them out to sea, her words rung in his mind. "The legion will march on your territory. We will raze it and salt the earth." "The spear is thrown. Our people are at war."

There was something in Reyna's eyes as she said it that made him fear the outcome. The reluctance she spoke with, telling him that she was just doing what she was honor bound to do. Worst of all, that meant she believed it.

The threat of open war now loomed over him, much closer than it ever had before. When Leo attacked new Rome, (Y/N) really didn't think about it being a true war. Maybe it was immaturity, or ADHD, or whatever other reason, but he never seemed to grasp what it would mean.

So the romans were angry at him and his friends, who cares? (Y/N) didn't remember a time where his mere existence wasn't annoying someone, he barely remembered the last time he had a normal day without a monster or god trying to kill him.

So all the fear and anxiety that his friends were feeling up until now was lost on him, he figured it was no big deal so they go find the mark of Athena and problem solved. It hadn't hit him until he saw it in Reyna's eyes, the reluctance to fight is what made the fight real for him,

He recalled a conversation he once had as he and his friends made their way to Vegas, about how if war did break out, they had to pick sides. Of course (Y/N) knew what side he chose then and now.

But that was the gods, that was them wanting to take power or keep it, this, this was grounded, it was real and hung over him like the weight of the sky. Sinking into him and almost causing him to do something reckless.

As he watched the ship pull away, a few thoughts crossed his mind, the first was an option he would have personally hated the most, seeing as it would have been repeating history.

For a moment he thought to himself, What if I give myself up to them? Octavian hates me the most right? Would that stop the war. But the thought was perished before it was even completed.

He absolutely could have imagined that Octavian would not bring him to a jury or the senate, or wherever the Romans held executions these days, and would instead kill him before that, saying that (Y/N) had tried to escape. Then Octavian would march on Camp Half Blood anyway.

But that wasn't what really stopped (Y/N), because his next thought was to the person next to him, panting, shaking like a leaf and clearly terrified. "That was close. Are you okay?" He asked Annabeth.

She nodded and gave him a small smile, he knew that she was hiding something that had happened, but didn't press the issue, he realized he could never do that to her again, for Camp Half Blood, New Rome, or the world.

As their enemies faded off into the distance, obscured by storm clouds, other thoughts crossed his mind. The worst part of him that wasn't a murderous incarnation of hate began to rear it's head. The cold unfeeling part of him, that just began to run numbers.

He ran the numbers, not because he was angry with the romans, or afraid of them, it was because part of him was just curious. About how much he could affect the total number of deaths caused by the soon to be war