Underestimating The Usefulness of Rope

Annabeth's POV

As they rushed from the car, leaving it crashed, or as Zoe called it, 'quickly parked' on the curb, Annabeth had to wonder what they were chasing after, because she hadn't seen what Zoe had, and in her excitement, her companion was leaving her in the dust.

Annabeth tried to keep up as Zoe zipped through alleys and raced down sidewalks, manoeuvring her way through the city like she had lived here her whole life, but with the circlet Zoe still wore she had the strength of Hippolyta.

Artemis had gifted it to her so she could rival Heracles, it may have just been a replica, imbued with some spilled over power from Hippolyta's belt, but it worked. For lack of a better term, like a charm.

It was something that Zoe herself tended to forget when her emotions ran high, especially after thousands of years with the hunters, where those emotions were kept in check, and that strength unfortunately for Annabeth, included her legs.

"Slow down!" She voiced her concern to Zoe as they breathlessly chased down their mysterious targets, but Zoe was adamant that she had seen them, and Annabeth trusted her. "We will lose them if we do not hurry!" Zoe screamed back, desperation shaking her voice.

Annabeth knew that, she felt the same, she knew that this was a fleeting chance, but something made her weary about it, there was something wrong. How had Zoe seen the fates from a moving car, blocks away, with no line of sight, her vision was good, but not that good. It wasn't possible.

But with the answer to her questions being so close to her, she decided the risk was worth it, "Ok, let's go." Annabeth began running again too, but Zoe was clearly being slowed down by her being there.

They couldn't slow pace just for her, so she pulled something out of her backpack as they ran, luckily lent to them by the hunters of Artemis, it was Zoe's old pack, meaning that it could carry things several time it's own size. Still, part of her felt guilty about this.

She didn't really want to use it, but had no choice, as Zoe continued to race down the streets at a breakneck pace, Annabeth threw down the skateboard to her feet and stepped onto it, kicking off in one fluid motion, she grabbed onto the arm of Zoe, who caught on quickly and used her great strength to launch Annabeth forward.

For a few minutes, they tore through the city at speeds they shouldn't have been able to reach, the two of them, but every turn they had to make, every person they had to weave past, Annabeth found herself loosing speed, and every time she would try to stabilize herself, her legs would suffer for it.

After weighing her options, Annabeth just told her to go. Zoe was still too fast for even a demigod to match, save for a few of the exceptional sons and daughters of Hermes, after a few minutes of barely seeing Zoe duck around the end of blocks and catching glimpses of her as she raced across busy streets, Annabeth gave up.

By that, she meant her body did, while her mind was ready to chase after their only lead into the night if she had to, her knees were unable to meet that demand, and she paused for a few moments to rest, falling to the ground to catch her breath in a more comfortable position.

So this wasn't a waste of her time and energy, Annabeth tried to figure out what Zoe had seen, all descriptions she had of the fates were of three old women, sat, not moving, not running away from them. Annabeth propped herself up against a nearby fence and closed her eyes to think.

That was her best choice yet, because as her eyes closed, a connection seemed to be made, she didn't see anything but darkness, but heard a voice, "YOU MISSED!" It shouted, "How could you of all people miss?" Said her mother's voice

"Oh just hurry! I am new to this. You have all had years to practice, Zoe was right next to her, it was barely a miss, and of course I would connect to Zoe easier, she is my greatest hunter...Oh just hurry up, he's already interfering!" said another female voice that Annabeth wasn't quite as familiar with.