35

Zane was pissed. He texted his brother saying he was leaving as he was walking out of the school. No teachers or students saw as he left through the back of the school, seething and beat red with anger. He dialed his old friend Officer Hope, then ended the call when he thought about the conversation and heard she was using the cops in her favor. Officer Hope texted asking if Zane was alright, and Zane claimed he hit the wrong number and was okay. Instead, he called Gavin, saying he needed to blow off some steam, and was on the way over and hung up.

"You aren't done with PT yet, no way," Gavin texted. "And I already got a kid in here."

"Don't care, I can only go to you," he texted back.

He pressed on Shane's contact and texted "Left early Little Emo, go to your aunts and I'll see you soon. Don't worry, everything's alright, just got something that came up."

The more he walked the angrier he got, so he started sprinting, pulling on the straps of his backpack to hold closely against his back as he ran. He got to Gavin's gym in 15 minutes, instead of the normal 40 minutes it would have taken him if he jogged. He pulled open the door, threw his bag on the floor, and slammed his locker open. He pulled his shirt over his head and grabbed his gloves, ignoring his wraps.

"Zane, calm down," Gavin was walking forward.

"Gavin, not now," Zane shook his head and took the straps off of his gloves and slid them in. He didn't tie his gloves, just pulled the straps closed with his teeth, and stomped over to the closest boxing bag hanging from the metal beams of the gym.

"Zane," Gavin followed. "What happened?" He asked as calmly as he could. Gavin hated it when Zane threw tantrums, but he knew it was always for a reason.

Zane ignored him and started punching aimlessly, simply releasing as much anger as he needed to. It only took him 10 minutes to calm down. He was breathing heavily, sweat dripping down his chest, back, and arms. His hair was drenched as if he was just in the rain. He was still seething inside, but no longer feeling the need to punch holes through the girl's face.

Gavin walked back over, leaving the 16-year-old boy who was watching Zane in admiration and fear. Gavin carefully put his hands on the boy's shoulders, then pulled him into a hug. Zane grabbed his gloved hands around the man he secretly called his uncle, being so thankful to have him there as support. Gavin was one of the biggest helpers when it came to Zane's PTSD and trauma with his biological uncle.

"What happened, Zane?" Gavin asked quietly.

"Nothin-"

"Don't fucking try that with me, Zane. I know you. What triggered it?"

Zane waited a moment before backing up and looking at the 16-year-old he didn't recognize. The boy had blue streaks in his black curly hair, but his skin was pale and his eyes were a bright green.

"Who's the kid?" Zane asked loudly.

"Don't try to change the subject," Gavin grabbed Zane nicely to keep him in place. "And don't try to intimidate that kid because you're feeling moody."

Zane rolled his eyes but stepped towards the kid and sized him up. The kid in question was skinny, but only 3 inches shorter than Zane. The kid didn't shy away from Zane's judging gaze.

"First time here?" Zane asked sternly.

"3rd," the kid corrects, raising his chin in confidence. "My name is not Kid either."

Zane raised an amused brow, "Fine. What is your name?"

"Cameron."

"Are you one of the city kids?"