13

(Zane's pov for chap 13)

"I'm not going to have a body on my hands, so tell us where's the real things at?"

"Like I said I don't know you have to ask him."

"How do we know you didn't smuggle it? Or have him pawn it off?"

"I'm loyal to you! I always have been! I'll fucking ask him alright! Just don't hurt me, I have a family."

" aww, you have a family. I wonder what your wife would think if she found out you were off smuggling drugs. You got a kid?" I ask, leaning on the table across from him.

Of course I'd never do anything to his family, my guys wouldn't either. This is just to riled up to give us the money or the left overs.

"Yeah, two beautiful boys."

"That's sweet. Imagine one of them finding out their daddy came home after dealing some drugs and got scared when he realized he couldn't pay back every sent. You're a criminal, imagine saying bye bye to those beautiful boys. You don't want that do you? You seem like a good father, trying to get money to feed and house them.

"That's why I'm going easy on you, I got a soft spot for kids. When kids see someone they care about in pain, that hurts them, I've seen it. They need their daddy there, so you've gotta be there. Meaning you can't get put into the slammer, and you can't disobey us. So, talk to your buddy, and get the remains. If anything missing, you'll just have to pay us back. Is that fair enough?"

He gulps and nods repeatedly. I just won him over. I look up front and nod. Ginger slams his hand on the the van side three times. We start driving to his buddy's place.

"why do you like kids?"

I raise an eyebrow. Is this guy serious? He remains quiet while staring at me. I look over at Ginger, he just shrugs.

"I was an orphan. At age 9 I watched my parents die, I held onto my fathers arm as he passed. I know what it's like seeing your parent hurt and feeling hopeless and concerned. Which, is why I go a little easier on parents."

Ginger seemed kinda shocked to hear that, it's my turn to return a shrug.

"Nothing more to it than that. Just making sure no other kid grows up with a fucked parent. You are trying to do your best for your kids, I can tell you just did it the wrong way."

"Are you a father?"

"No," I laugh "hell no. Not in this shithole job. Not gonna make my kid go through what I went through. You can kill or get killed doing this shit, you make sure to not have a family while doing it. Take my word of advice, when you pay us back, start a part time job instead of this shady shit. It'll keep you alive for your kids."

He seems to have relaxed, so I do across from him as well. He's tied down on the van floor across from me. Ginger stands guard while I talk him through this.

"Then why did you start this?"

"You sure do talk a lot huh?"

He's silent, making me want to laugh.

"Why do you care so much?"

"Because you seem to compassionate for this job," he blinks slowly, almost tired. I would be too with the mental marathon we've given him.

" You need to be smarter about who you talk to when you do this. you sign up for a target on your back. start wearing a mask it'll protect you in the end," I look at ginger. "How much longer?"

"7 minutes"

I loo back over at the guy and smirk, of course he can't see that.

"You ready rookie?"