Chapter 1

Chapter 1

Being a demon can be such a pain sometimes. Sure, there's the cool powers and moral freedom to do as you please, but stupid humans are always trying to meddle. Can't they just leave a girl alone to eat her cake in peace! I sighed in annoyance at the Clunaics trying to approach me stealthily. Maybe to the average human they might seem inconspicuous, but I could sense their holy weapons as easily as spotting a beacon in the dark.

This was seriously unfortunate timing. I had just gotten to the Human Realm through a convenient dimension tear and was determined to eat something delicious. I know, it may not seem very evil, but I assure you, this devil's chocolate cake is sinfully delicious. The food in the Demon Realm just couldn't hold a candle to the wickedly clever concoctions of humans.

With another over dramatic sigh, I got up from my seat at the cozy bakery and headed for the back entrance. Now I know what you may be thinking, oh so she's just going to run away? Of course not, why would you think such a thing! I just don't want to have a fight inside what I already know will be my new favorite place in the Human Realm, Devil's Delight. Even the name of the bakery is just begging me to stay.

The Clunaics started rushing after me, not wanting me to escape, so I decided I might as well make things entertaining for them by giving them a challenge. I started sprinting away from the small town, reveling in the breeze running through my hair and the sun warming my face. I could get used to this. This was what living should feel like. Not gagging on acrid air or squinting through shadows.

I heard the thudding of hoofbeats behind me and turned to see that the Clunaics were pursuing me on horseback. They started gaining on me as we left the town behind. But no matter, it might be nice to have some entertainment after all. With a grin I shed my human disguise, my body vibrating and shimmering as I shifted into my demonic form. Ram-like horns appeared on my head, protruding through my long dark hair, and I stretched out my bat wings, warming them in the sun. I turned, wanting to revel in the shocked expressions of the Clunaics as they got a load of what they were dealing with.

They're reactions didn't disappoint. Their faces were awash with surprise and fear and I could see their growing hesitancy to approach me now. However, out of the cluster of Clunaics, one man continued on boldly. At first I thought he was probably some stupid fool desparate to prove himself to his comrades, but as he neared I could see that wasn't quite the case.

He wasn't the largest or strongest looking man among the Clunaics, but he had a lean roughness to him that implied training and skill. His sandy blonde hair was tied back, though some rebellious strands still whipped across his face as he rode. As he raced towards me, green eyes blazing with determination despite his obvious fear, he drew his sword.

Despite knowing they were carrying holy weapons I couldn't help but shudder reflexively at the deadly weapon. The blade shimmered with blue fire as he raised the sword and pointed it towards me. Every demon knows that holy fire is to be avoided at all costs. It's instinctual knowledge ingrained upon our souls. So while I had never seen holy fire before there was no denying that what was before me was indeed my ultimate bane.

The man's boldness rallied the other men until all of them were galloping at me with holy weapons drawn. Deciding that it might be about time to get some distance from them I extended my black wings and flapped powerfully. I quickly rose into the air and hovered to see what they would do.

Seeing I was now out of reach they reined in their horses and regrouped.

"Everyone, assume formation F!" the blonde haired man ordered. "Mages, prepare your long range attack spells!"