011 ➥ grace

♬♩♪♩  ♩♪♩♬

♬♩♪♩  ♩♪♩♬

NOVEMBER 27TH 1991

"Airports shouldn't be this cold, especially not in bloody November."

Alahna grinned when she heard Bonnie's complaint but didn't comment on it. Aside from the fact that she was making a valid point, she was too busy being anxious to come up with an answer.

"I'm gonna miss you." She said instead.

Bonnie smiled, pulling Alahna into a bone-crushing hug. "I'm gonna miss you too, love." She replied. "If it makes you feel any better, I am extremely jealous of you." She joked (but also, not really).

"I appreciate the sentiment." Alahna smiled. "But you're staying because of work. Just think about the fact that you're gonna get paid more than me this month, that'll make you feel better."

Bonnie scoffed. "Yeah because the one rule for friendships to be successful is to relish on the other person's non-fulfillment." She said sarcastically. Only then did she let go of her best friend. "You're gonna have loads of fun, alright? There's no need to be scared or nervous or anything even remotely negative."

"Except of course..." Alahna trailed off, knowing Bonnie would immediately understand what she meant.

A couple days prior, Alahna had called her family to let them know she'd visit. It had taken her an hour and a half of psychological preparation to pick up the phone and do it. Her mother had been happy to hear from her and was seemingly excited about the prospect of seeing her daughter again soon. That didn't make Alahna any less terrified, though.

As much joy as there would be when they reuinited, Alahna had a feeling that the topic of her abrupt departure was sure to come up. Needless to say, she was less than enthusiastic about that.

"You do know your family doesn't hate you, right?" Bonnie said. Alahna only shrugged. "Babe, they love you. I guarantee you, all they want is to see that you're okay and thriving out there in the big bad world." Bonnie rubbed her shoulders in a soothing manner. "You know... you can always ask Dave to go with you." She smirked.

Alahna clicked her tongue before playfully shoving Bonnie. "That is so not happening." She shook her head.

"Yeah well, you never know." Bonnie shrugged. Alahna detected a glint of something she couldn't quite recognize but she assumed it was just her unwavering faith in her and Dave's... whatever it was.

(Certainly not a relationship yet.)

Alahna needed all of the will power she could muster in order to let go of Bonnie so she could board her plane. As lame as it might've sounded, this was her first time on a plane by herself. Before moving away, she'd never been outside of England and when she did move, she had Bonnie's hand to hold.