008 ➥ stick around long enough

♬♩♪♩  ♩♪♩♬

♬♩♪♩  ♩♪♩♬

OCTOBER 31ST 1991

One very boring thing about the UK is that its people don't celebrate Halloween with as much passion as Americans do. Over on that side of the Atlantic, things were done quite differently.

Unfortunately, Alahna and Bonnie wouldn't have much room for Halloween-related thoughts because their first October 31st in the land their ancestors had conquered would be spent at the Paramount Theater, watching Nirvana play.

Against all critical thinking skills, Bonnie had begged and pleaded for her and Alahna to show up to the gig in extravagant costumes. Alahna had shut down the idea as soon as she'd heard the first two words of her best friend's pitch. Needless to say, Bonnie whined about the heartbreaking refusal for a bit. ("I thought Dave had made you fun!")

A girl like her couldn't be deterred, though. After accepting that Alahna wouldn't join her in her antics, she decided she could handle doing it by herself. Partially, at least.

Long story short, she bought red face paint.

Walking in on her applying the product in a rather careless manner was certainly interesting for Alahna.

"Oh my God." She chuckled, pressing her right palm against her cheek as she watched her best friend's passionate movements against her own face. She was applying the face pain in a way that made it look like she'd been crying bloody tears, which was quite inventive and cool in a way.

Bonnie momentarily halted her actions in favor of turning towards Alahna. "Are you sure you don't want to join me?" She pouted ever so slightly.

Alahna quickly shook her head. "I'm good mate, thanks." She replied. "I'd rather look nice tonight."

Her best friend chuckled. "Well, if by nice you mean a bloody Nirvana shirt then yeah babe, you look dashing."

This time, she wasn't wearing one of Bonnie's shirts (even though she'd managed to play dumb and keep the one she'd worn the night they'd befriended the boys). Instead, she was wearing an item she'd purchased on her own; this shirt was short-sleeved, a dark orange and it had the name of the band in its usual style as well as the logo right underneath. Since it was a tad bit long for her, she'd made the impulsive decision to tie the end of the shirt in a neat knot at the front, showing just a tiny bit of the skin on her waist. Quite simple in terms of creativity, but it made Alahna feel good about herself.

A spark ignited deep inside her as she wondered what Dave's reaction would be when she saw that she was wearing Nirvana merch that wasn't borrowed.