006 ➥ at arm's reach

♬♩♪♩  ♩♪♩♬

♬♩♪♩  ♩♪♩♬

OCTOBER 16TH 1991

"Just call him."

"I'm trying."

"You're standing in front of our phone biting the skin off your fingers, I don't think that qualifies as an attempt."

Alahna let out a frustrated sigh, covering her face with both hands. "This really shouldn't be so difficult, should it?"

"Not in the slightest." Bonnie replied, halfway through tying her hair up in a bun.

"I mean... what if Kurt picks up?" Alahna nervously wondered, bringing her thumb to her mouth and nibbling on the skin around her nail, again.

Bonnie blinked, completely flabbergasted by the way that her best friend asked the question like she had an actual predicament on her hands. "Goodness mate I don't know, I suppose you could just be an adult and ask him if Dave's around or, you know... faint and hope for the best." She shrugged sarcastically.

Alahna narrowed her eyes at her best friend, clearly displeased with her display of sarcasm in a moment of severe anxiety. "Hilarious. You know, I could really use your help right now Bonnie."

Bonnie let out a disbelieving cackle. "What on Earth could you possibly need my help for, babe? You're just calling a lad you fancy, you've done this before just fine without me!" She exclaimed, matter-of-factly.

"I know!" Alahna groaned. "It's just..." She trailed off. She wasn't sure how she felt about the fact that this time it felt overwhelmingly different.

"Oh for fuck's sake." Bonnie clicked her tongue and grabbed the phone, dialing the number that she'd already memorized by heart (which was entirely Alahna's fault). When Alahna tried to take it from her, eyes wide with panic, Bonnie took a step back and raised her index finger. "Shut! We're ending this once and for all." She determined. Alahna had no choice but to stand there and wait. The girl heard four rings, a deafening two-second long silence, and then a muffled voice. "Hey, stranger." Bonnie greeted the voice with a giddy smile on her face. Alahna immediately relaxed a bit: Bonnie hadn't called the other person rockstar so she was definitely talking to Kurt. "Listen, as much as I'd like to chat, I'm afraid I'm here on business." She said. Alahna silently admired how calm she seemed to be while talking to someone she was mildly interested in. "Alahna has been wanting to talk to Dave for days but performance anxiety is getting to her." The girl in question let her jaw drop at the betrayal before mouthing I'm going to kill you. Bonnie didn't even react as she was too busy laughing over the matter with Kurt. "Yeah, so I was wondering if Dave's around." She said. Alahna didn't hear Kurt's response. "Great, hold on a sec." Bonnie handed Alahna the phone, making her stomach drop.