Chapter 12

My hopes came crashing down the next day, I woke up from my amazing dream, and I was greeted by my pounding headache, slightly runny nose, and a cough to complete the trinity. I knew it wasn't a good idea to come out in that heavy rain. And I did it anyway, knowing the consequences of my actions. Great job me, you are doing a fantastic work in surviving this crazy world.

Hearing my discomfort, Curtis immediately took action in heating up the fire. He boiled the water just like I taught him to do, whenever we use it for drinking. Ain't no way I'm experiencing diarrhea again when I don't have anything to clean my ass with. While the water is heating up, he search through his belonging and brought up his huge stash of crystals.

He brought one emerald to my lips, and I obediently opened my mouth to let the magic jewel in. It melt in my tongue, so its easy to swallow without water.

"My mate, are you feeling alright now? Or do you need another one? This is my fault, I didn't stop you from walking in the rain. Now you are sick, forgive me Yaesoon."

This man really, it's not that everything is his fault. Why does he keep blaming himself when I'm the one who did something to cause this.
I held his face between my hands, and look intently at his eyes. It's making my heart flutter but this is not the time for a morning kiss, besides I wouldn't do it anyway without having a mouthwash with me I'll just disgust myself. I wouldn't want Curtis to experience my morning breath even if he can smell it from me.

"Curtis look, you need to stop blaming everything for yourself on things you didn't even do. It's my fault I was sick, I'm the one who walk out of the cave when it's raining hard, knowing I'll get sick. It's my actions that cause this and I need you to understand that. Thank you for always taking care of me, and for letting me consume that emerald. I feel much better now. And, you can't stop me from walking in the rain anyway. So it's not your fault C."

With his face between my hands, he nods to my words. I squeeze his cheeks for reassurance and let his handsome face go. It's bad if I don't control my strength with Curtis, he can get hurt.

"I understand, you don't have to thank me for that emerald, it's yours to use. My mate, I think I heard you say C? Is that my name now?"

"Oh! No, I mean yes, technically your name starts with the letter C. I just shortened it so I can call you a nickname. A nickname can be use by people who are close to each other like a family. I hope you don't mind."

He tilts his head like his wondering about how strange my words are to him. Fuck, he's beautiful face plus his adorable reaction is a killer combo. I nearly grabbed his face again but, I managed to stop myself by standing up from the makeshift bed and tidying it. Though it won't matter because it's just a pile of furs.

"I see, this nickname of yours is a sign of affection in your world."

He finally responded with his voice softer than normal. He's fond of his nickname, I think.

"Yes it's a sign of affection towards each other. Anyway, I think the water is boiling I'll take a drink now."

Another Awkward escape to my cringe actions, I walk near the boiling water to take it with the thick furs as potholder. I want to bury myself from embarrassment in my actions but I'm hungry so, food first.

I miss rice for breakfast but I can't do anything about it. For now, I have to finish carving the bowls and spoons, then have Curtis assist me in cutting the thick brunches so I won't mess anything up. He has sharp scales and claws, he can hack thick brunches like a lumber expert.

After eating alone again, I clean myself with my pajama rugs, no scratch that, I wiped myself clean with the warm water and changed into another outfit C made for me. That nickname of his is really growing in me.

We finally get to the part of cutting the woods, just like I requested, he split the logs in half cleanly with the sharp end of his tail. Sometimes, I forgot that Curtis is a vicious predator that can cut another body in half, because of how sweet he is to me.

After that, with C's help I managed to carve a decent bowl, large enough to hold the meat of the animals he hunted. I can cook properly with this, but without the seasonings, it will be all for nothing. Then, when I finally acquire the materials for cleaning my body, my next priority is the improvement of food. I can't just live with eating charred meat forever, I'll die of Colon cancer.

Times like this, I wish I was Senku from Dr. Stone. But what can I do, it's my reality now, I'm no scientist in making things from a scratch.

If only I can find oil, then I can use it to make soap, to make a proper food and I will just think of another use of it when I actually manage to find one.

Speaking of finding materials, we also need to have birds? No chickens? If they have those in here. I think, if we managed caring for these animals like a poultry, we can acquire their eggs and meat. We need to stock many things like crazy because, if my search for answers ended up going for a long time, and the winter season comes, it means C will hibernate and I'll be left alone here.

This is why females here have the need to mate with multiple males, for their survival. That is why I have to prepare myself when the time comes, and Curtis is not here with me. I have to learn how to survive by myself.

I snapped out of my reverie when C takes the stone knife from my hands, that I was using to carve the spoons.

"That was dangerous my mate, be careful when you are handling something sharp. You can get hurt and you just got sick this morning. Even if the emerald already healed your sickness, you can't just put yourself to another danger."

Curtis voice only harden when it comes to my safety. I felt like a scolded child for a moment, even my mother didn't talk to me like this whenever I do things I can get hurt to, maybe it's because she knows I'm strong like her.

Knowing I have someone like him who truly cares for me, I feel reassured and happy.

"Sorry C, I was just lost in my thoughts. Don't worry I won't do it again."

"As long as you know what you are doing then it's fine. I'm right here with you, I won't let anything happen to you while I'm here."

My heart thudded fast with his words, I impulsively peck his lips but he caught my face in his hands and deepen the kiss.

If he's by my side I think I can do anything. Is this what they call the power of love? Ugh, that was cringe.

Anyway I won't hope that our days will be okay, I will just make sure it will and keep it that way.