Chapter 8

Curtis carried me all throughout our quick evacuation, away from the den he used to occupy, where the river is nearby. Which means, dangerous for us to be in, since the storm incoming is strong, and it may flood the entire territory where in, to wash away everything. While he carried me, in his front, where he can see me, I felt like a child clinging to him, I noticed that his body is cold to cling to, with the red scales situated in small parts of his upper body, I can say that he is without a doubt, a beautiful creature. I know in this world that when they mate to a female they mate with them for life, but having insecurities can be a pain in the ass sometimes. All I have in me going is the brute strength I inherited, and the adaptability to survive, besides that nothing interesting can be shown in my appearance, so I don't know if Curtis really is sure with his choice to pursue me. I was so lost in my thoughts that I did not notice Curtis staring down at me, and noticing how quiet I was he seems to wanted to ask what my problem is, but stayed focus on moving quickly. That's good, because I don't want to embarrass myself anymore in front of him, what I did last night is enough damage, besides, I'm good at pretending that everything is fine.

While we are travelling quietly in the dense woods, I noticed Curtis eyes glints caution, he suddenly stopped, like he sensed something dangerous around us, I wanted to ask if everything was fine but I have a feeling that whatever is going to happen next will require his focus, and without me disturbing his concentration by asking something obvious. So, I remain still in his hold and sharpened my senses like him while glancing around the woods surrounding us, that conceals hidden danger of the forest,  Like this one I am currently sensing, its something moving quickly near our location. I think whatever is moving towards us, is crawling or digging underneath the ground shit! Is it a snake like Curtis? or something more dangerous? I really hate insects, so I hope it wouldn't be a giant cockroach that I hate, or I'll lose my sanity, the small amount of mental stability left in me.

Hearing a snap of twigs in front of us, I was faced with a disgusting sight, that sent goosebumps all throughout my body, with its giant pincers, and shell protecting it's huge form, that the first thing came into my mind, is the insect repellent spray, I always have in my room, and wishing that I brought it with me while sleeping, but this creepy thing in front of us is not an insect that I can spray or squashed like a bug. These fucking creepy Scorpion in front of us is like Curtis, I'm sure, and a Feral like him can only mean one thing, he is formidable and will be hard to defeat. Fuck! I really wanted to be confident in my strength right now, but seeing what I am going to face, with its body a hundred times bigger than mine, makes me want to run away, and go home, so that my grandmother can kill it with her hands. I miss her so much, despite inheriting the power like her, I am a coward in many things, like insects, so my to go to person, who is an expert when it comes to this creepy creatures, is my grandmother, the one who singlehandedly, with her bare hands swatted out the cockroach who scared me when I was five out of the window, never to be seen and heard ever again to the world. I'm pretty sure that cockroach travelled all the way out of our city, and ever since then, she will always be my protector when I'm being a coward or my best friend would say a normal person, but now that I am in a place where even creatures like this transforms into their gigantic form, like the creatures in a fucking Godzilla movie, I just wanted to go home and cry. There's no one here to rely on that I can trust with my life, yes Curtis is with me, but we only know each other for a short time, and I'm not going to put myself in danger knowing that I have someone who will be my meat shield for me, I'm not like that, my conscience would kill me.

Besides, women in the family are courageous, and with the strength to rely on. They are, no we are formidable.

"Curtis, this feral someone you know?"

He hissed dangerously to the scorpion so I guess, that's the answer to my question. I patted his chest to let me down, but he obviously don't want to let me go, with his eyes staring at me with confusion, on why I wanted to be put down, I appreciate his worry about my safety, but I can't back down here. It's not just my life in line here but also Curtis, even if the males here are meat shield for females, I can't let him get hurt because of my cowardice.

"You there transform and face us."

Thankfully, my voice didn't waver and I got the words out calmly, inside though my nerves are killing me, and cursing at me on why I keep opening my damn mouth, but I maintained my blank expression. My attention goes back to the creature in front of us as he transform into a man, what the hell, people here must be eating some kind of beauty enhancement pill or just naturally born beautiful appearances, cause they all have top tier appearance. Though, it's still early to judge and appearances can be deceiving.

As Curtis puts me down gently, I patted his arms for reassurance, its for me, and him actually, cause the guy in front of us is too silent to initiate a nice conversation. What is this a staring contest? Then another awkward silence later he finally open his mouth to speak.

"Female, as I see that you choose that feral to accompany you, I will also go with you to be your mate."

Assuming and delusional this asshole must be one of these words or both. The moment he opened his mouth, he spew nonsensical words, like I'm not here to speak for myself, he even has the audacity to invite himself without asking if it's okay with me. Wow he's unbelievable, he only listens to himself, maybe because he knows he's strong? What an arrogant bastard.

"Shut your mouth scorpion." Curtis hissed like he's about to inject the bastard's body full of his venom. While, the guy he's threatening didn't even spare a glance at him, and continue his creepy stare at me. Disrespectful male like this just waste time and space in this world, so he is not worth our attention.

I glanced at Curtis enraged form, and grab his left arm, to leave without answering, away from that thing, if I paid attention to that guy, I will just give him what he wants, and he will take a mile with his rude attitude. Now that he knows I don't have any intention in paying him any care, he hurried to my side, but Curtis block his way with a rigid stance and gave him a nasty glare.

"I don't have any interest with you so don't expect me to care about what you are going to do. I have no intention of being your mate."

I coldly uttered to him while, continuing to walk away without looking back to see what face is he making. I don't even know him, so why would I care about his reaction, there will be other females he's going to meet. Just because I have a feral with me, it doesn't mean others can take advantage of that, and thinks of it as an opportunity to mate, I'm not charitable enough to give myself to other people, I have to be straightforward when I don't want to do something here or they won't get the hint.

If his smart enough to survive, and strong enough to be a Triple marked Feral then, he will be fine on his own.
I'm barely surviving here on my own, and I know I'm not alone anymore, but I'm still not ready to be responsible for another life in my hands.

We continue with our journey holding each other's hand, uncertain of what else the future will bring down to us.