28. The Temple

Mistress Yvaine, her eyes filled with wisdom and a touch of sorrow, spread a weathered piece of parchment on the rough-hewn wooden table. Her gnarled fingers traced lines and symbols on the paper, forming a detailed map to a place that had been hidden for centuries – Aramantha's temple. Cassian leaned in to study the map, his keen eyes following every intricate detail.

"This is invaluable," he murmured, his voice tinged with a mix of anticipation and wariness. "Thank you, Mistress Yvaine."

Mistress Yvaine's gaze met Cassian's, and she spoke with a sense of gravity, "Be cautious, for that place holds more than the echoes of a dark past. It may still be a sanctuary for those who follow Aramantha's twisted legacy."

Cassian nodded, understanding the gravity of their mission. He carefully rolled the map and secured it, a piece of history and danger that would guide their path.

With a nod of gratitude, Cassian turned to Killian, "thank you for your help, Killian. You can return to the camp."

Killian's expression soured, and his wings twitched with frustration. He had anticipated being a part of this mission, not left behind as if his skills were of no use. He looked down on Cassian, Lysander, and Bellona with disdain, his pride wounded.

Lysander, ever the observant and perceptive one, noticed the tension between Killian and the group. He had a choice to make, to wait for Azriel, the formidable warrior and shadow-singer, or to proceed to the abandoned temple immediately. Lysander glanced at Cassian, his father, seeking guidance.

Cassian's eyes flickered with uncertainty. He knew the urgency of their mission, but he also understood the value of Azriel's skills and experience. The choice was not an easy one.

Lysander's voice wavered with the weight of the decision as he turned to his father, "Father, should we wait for Azriel or go straight to the abandoned temple? We don't know what we'll find there, and Azriel's presence could be crucial."

Cassian considered the options, knowing that every moment counted. But he also trusted his son's judgment. "Lysander, you're right. We'll wait for Azriel. His skills are invaluable, and this mission is too important to rush into without all our resources."

Lysander nodded, a sense of relief washing over him that they would have Azriel's support. Cassian then turned his attention to Bellona, who had been silent but resolute throughout the exchange.
"Bellona, be ready," Cassian said, his voice firm. "We'll wait for Azriel, and then we'll proceed to Aramantha's temple."

——-

The group gathered in a hut in a quiet corner of the camp, where they could keep an eye on the sky, waiting for Azriel to return. The tension in the air was palpable as they discussed their mission, the map provided by Mistress Yvaine lay rolled out before them, a parchment reminder of the dark secrets they were about to uncover.

Bellona, standing slightly apart from the others, watched the horizon, her wings flexing with anticipation. She knew the importance of Azriel's presence, and his absence had weighed heavily on their decision. Lysander kept a watchful eye on the skies, searching for the telltale shadow of Azriel's arrival.

Time passed slowly, and the anxious moments stretched into what felt like hours. Then, finally, a shadowy figure emerged on the horizon, a graceful and silent glider. It was Azriel, returning from the Hewn City to join them.

Azriel landed with the grace of a shadow, his wings folding behind him. He acknowledged the group with a nod, his dark eyes reflecting the quiet intensity that had earned him his reputation as one of the Night Court's deadliest warriors.
With Azriel's arrival, the group was now complete. Cassian approached him, their hushed conversation carrying in the still air.